Phase II QCTP. Not what I expected.

Back when I did the BXA tool holder testing I also compared a BXA Aloris to a Bostar and a no-name import (all three wedge types) and found the performance aspect to be negligible. Fit and finish wise the Aloris was far superior with much tighter manufacturing tolerances. My current QCTP on my PM-1440GT lathe is a Bostar CXA. I did however make a new center T-nut to remove some of the slop I felt was too excessive. I have considered upgrading but when I am able to remove and reset a tool within a few tenths it doesn't make sense for me to spend the money. It is my opinion, based on extensive testing, that most issues with repeatability and rigidity come from the compound rest on the hobby import lathes or not keeping the surfaces between the tool holder and the tool post clean.

Maybe the quality of Phase II products has slipped over the years, or maybe the tool post you got was defective. In either case I would contact the retailer and ask to return it. You can ask for a replacement or a refund.

I have 2 Phase II tool posts, an AXA for my 10" lathe and a BXA for my 13" lathe. I've had both of quite a number of years, and they are of acceptable quality. At work we used Aloris toll posts and holders exclusively . They were both sturdy and accurate, but they were extremely expensive. For the work I do my Phase II are just as sturdy and just as accurate, but cost about 25% of the Aloris products.

An Aloris "kit" which includes a BXA tool post and 4 tool holders costs between $925.00 and $1,200.00 depending on where you buy them. A Phase II BXA "kit" with a tool post and 5 tool holders costs about $300.00. Although I like the Aloris brand I can't see spending three to four times the money for negligible differences in performance.

As an FYI I do have several Aloris tool holders. They were purchased new from a company that specializes in buying out surplus equipment and shops either upgrading or going out of business. The tool holders fit my Phase II posts perfectly and perform well. I particularly like threading tool:

But at $130.00 per copy my Shars tool holders at $15.00 per copy work just fine.

I do plan on sending it back. No sense in paying for something that has no improvement over what I have.

Interesting threading holder. I have never seen one like that.

I picked up Phase ii+ wedge type qctp about 4 or 5 years ago. I actually drove up to their offices and met everyone. The lady owner was very nice. I met the guy who oversees QC. He said he goes to China very often to ensure standards are being held. I am very happy with my qctp, vise, and couple of other things I bought that day from them. Even got a nice discount. I did open and clean everything I bought but since that I've had zero issues. I hope their QC isn't going the way of many other companies these days. 7milesup, you gonna return yours or just bite the bullet?

Thank you for the info Splat. I am going to be sending mine back.

When I bought my 1340GT I already had monies set aside for a Dorian BXA, a few Aloris holders, and a PBA 8" setrite chuck. I didn't want to put lower quality stuff on a nice Taiwan lathe as that kinda defeats the purpose of buying this lathe. I also knew that I'd better spend the money now because later I wouldn't have it.

And it's later now. :)

I hear ya Bill. Until I get a better lathe I can't justify top end for this PM1022. Would like to upgrade to a 1236 or 1440 but I just got an 833T a while ago and upgrading my lathe now would not pass the finance department approval.

Or you could consider a 40-position Multifix-type of tool post system, like from Create Tool in China. Their prices and shipping are very reasonable. I love mine and wouldn't want to go back to a "regular" qctp.

Or you could consider a 40-position Multifix-type of tool post system, like from Create Tool in China. Their prices and shipping are very reasonable. I love mine and wouldn't want to go back to a "regular" qctp.

I have seriously thought about that Splat. The only drawback I can see is lack of "quick" availability on the tool holders, although that probably would not be an issue. I am watching a couple videos on it right now ... ;)

Good day all! Thought I d come back here to get flamed!!! I just bought a Bostar Bxa 5 pc Wedge set.
For 139$ on sale( til the the 30th at CDCO) thought is was a deal.
I use alot of Hss and every tool has a custom block and then I may add some rake and I make enough stuff to make stuff and shim blocks I could do not having to make.
Having the thread adjustment just makes sense for 139$ wether it repeats or not. Don t really feel I ll gain anything as far as rigidity goes and still would like a Dorian one day but for 1200-1500$ in Canuck money is way out of reach for now. I ll post up unpacking and general review. Have an idea what I m getting . It s progress!
Let the flaming begin!

Back