Phase Ii Wedge Quick Change Tool Post Qctp Question

The piston type QCTP that came with my G4003G had the handle indexed so that it was a PIA to use both the dovetails. I tapped a hole for the handle 30 degrees either way from the existing hole. I actually only needed one of them as once I moved it I never had to move it again.

Anyone have any issues being able to use the front tool post?
My Phase II AXA was exactly the same as you describe. I tried many times to "unscrew" the wedges and start them in a different position, but they always ended up in the same place making it hard to get a holder on that front position. I finally drilled a new hole about 1/2" away from original (going clockwise), tapped it for M8X1.25 and installed the original handle. All is great now, I only wish I had done it a long time ago. Hope this helps, Merry Christmas, JR49

Thanks for all the help here. To answer a post earlier, mine is brand new.
Mine locks at about 4:30 and unlocks around 1:00. The 9:00 dovetails work no problem, however the 12:00 dovetails are a no go unless I unscrew the handle and then screw it back in once the tool is on the dovetails. I am not sure how to reposition the handle as I have taken it apart and it seems to reassemble the same.

I called Phase II and the guy I talked to said, "it is what it is"...not really going to be able to use the 12:00 dovetails. Not what I wanted to hear and I am quite sure if I pony up for an Aloris, that I would be able to use both dovetails. Before throwing in the towel and buying an Aloris, I am going to drill another hole and tap it as described above. Thanks again for all the input!!!

My Phase II AXA was exactly the same as you describe. I tried many times to "unscrew" the wedges and start them in a different position, but they always ended up in the same place making it hard to get a holder on that front position. I finally drilled a new hole about 1/2" away from original (going clockwise), tapped it for M8X1.25 and installed the original handle. All is great now, I only wish I had done it a long time ago. Hope this helps, Merry Christmas, JR49

I am unable to understand your last comment. If the handle locks a tool holder when in the 9 o'clock position why won't it lock when you place the tool holder at 12 o'clock . Is the problem that the handle has to move so far anticlockwise that you cannot get the tool holder onto the wedge? If so, it seems as though the wedge width is different in the two positions. This suggests that your qctp is faulty. My BXA phase 11 does not have this problem.
Cheers
Ron

Last edited:
I am unable to understand your last comment. If the handle locks a tool holder when in the 9 o'clock position why won't it lock when you place the tool holder at 12 o'clock . Is the problem that the handle has to move so far anticlockwise that you cannot get the tool holder onto the wedge? If so, it seems as though the wedge width is different in the two positions. This suggests that your qctp is faulty. My BXA phase 11 does not have this problem.
Cheers
Ron
The problem is not the locking but rather when the handle is unlocked as it extends over the dovetail area making it difficult or impossible to slide on the tool holder.

They say "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words", a quick fix (although I shouldn't have had to fix it !!)fixed tool post resized.jpg

They say "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words", a quick fix (although I shouldn't have had to fix it !!)View attachment 142115
Yeah, that's what I had to do to mine. I tapped two holes, one on either side of the original but only one was actually necessary. My old brain couldn't figure out every possible combination so I played CYA while I had the parts set up in my drill press for the angle.

Hi again Buggy Chief and espanzella.

Following clarification of the problem I went and checked my BXA Phase 11. Here is what I found!

My BXA Phase 11 is around 1 year old.

With both genuine Phase 11 toolholders (supplied with the tool post as a kit ) and generic imported chinese tool holders the results are IDENTICAL.

My BXA Phase 11 is installed with one set of dovetails to the left (9 o'clock) and one set to the front (12 oclock)
When I lock a tool holder in either location the lever locks at 45 deg to the right rear (4:30 o'clock) When locked in this position it interferes minimally with the operator!

However to unlock I only have to move the lever approx 45 deg anticlockwise ( 3 o'clock) to allow the tool holder to be completely free. It actually releases at about the 3:30 position. With the handle in the 3:00 o'clock position both tool holder positions are completely accessible.
It looks like both your QCTP's are faulty and I would contact Phase 11 and complain.
Ron

I fixed mine 4 years ago so I doubt I'll be contacting anybody. Mine is not a phase II but a chinese import. Other than this minor glich it has performed well.

I have a Chinese import AXA wedge toolpost that displays a similar unfriendly issue. However, I am able to get the tool holder into the 12:00 position with the operating handle not quite into the full-unlock position against the internal stop. I unlock fully, then move the handle clockwise to a point that the tool holder will just clear it to remove or place it on the post. It is sort of a 'barely' kind of thing, but it works for me.

Back