Photos Of Old Workshop 100 Years Ago

Varmints, when they are far. Something for short range critters is on the left!

Great pics, thanks for posting them, Osha would have a field day if they were around back then.

Great pics, thanks for posting them, Osha would have a field day if they were around back then.

No they wouldn't. They would see so many violations, they wouldn't know where to start and their heads would POP! :eek 2:

Thats Awesome, I will be looking at those pic's for a long time

I think that is a really good example of why OSHA was formed. I worked in a "modern foundry" back in the 80's and it was dangerous as hell. Looking at those photos I can't imagine how dangerous it was back then. Come to think about it, Appleton Electric Foundry wasn't all that modern at the time I was there. The building where my shop was located housed a brass foundry in the late 1800's. Not there anymore tho

Those pictures are great! It appears that housekeeping was fairly low on the list in that factory. I began my training in a flat-belt machine shop. The joke was, "Those belts are hanging around looking to see who's for lunch." It didn't take long to learn to live with them, and I thought they were fun. I collected a good amount of line shafting, and I was going to set up a flat-belt shop in my barn with some of my older equipment. In time the idea faded, and I gave most of the shafting and hangers to a museum. Jcl

I will probably regret being such a killjoy, but a few of those pictures are obviously from a time newer than the title would indicate.
Still, very cool and always a twinge of nostalgia comes through. Even disc sanders got a belt to the ceiling. Amazing.

Wrat

Back