Picked this Logan up today

autonoz

Active User
Registered
Seen this sitting in a yard. I stopped and talked to the owner who said he picked it up for scrap. Looked it over and found it was a Logan 1922 from 1955. It is complete and everything turns freely. It has an 8' Cushman 4 jaw chuck and a turret tail stock. it also has a QC tool holder. Asked him what he would take for it and I could not hand him $50.00 fast enough. It's rough, but I think it can be put back into working order.

logan2.jpg logan lathe.jpg

That has to be one of the best buys ever. I really like that tailstock. Do you see any downside to it?

Bill

COOL! You'll have one sweet machine once it is all cleaned up. Thanks for the post.

That has to be one of the best buys ever. I really like that tailstock. Do you see any downside to it?

Bill

I see a couple of downsides. 1 I have no idea how to use it. I watched it in action on You Tube. 2 I just am not sure if it is something I have a use for.
I will clean it up and possibly sell it. I think a standard tail stock would be all I need.

COOL! You'll have one sweet machine once it is all cleaned up. Thanks for the post.

Thanks. I pulled the chuck off last night and hit it with some phosphoric acid. It cleaned up the area I applied it to, but I think I am going to try some evapo rust.

Thanks. I pulled the chuck off last night and hit it with some phosphoric acid. It cleaned up the area I applied it to, but I think I am going to try some evapo rust.

Yup, Evapo Rust will be the ticket. You may want to get a bunch of steel wool or Scotch Brite pads to aid in the de-rustification as well.

Tooo Coool, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Dwayne

Awesome score! Why can't I find stuff like this! Please post some after pics!

Off to the races. I am tearing down the 1922 I just picked up the other day. In the picture you will see a gear that is located on the back of the headstock shaft. I found a rebuild on line that shows this individual knocking the gear off. His shaft is shorter than mine and is threaded on the end. In the picture you can see mine appears to have an extension on it. It looks like it threads on, hence the threads on his picture. Can anyone tell me if this is the case? Also, if it does thread off, does the gear stay behind or come off with it? Can someone tell me what this extension is for, it has three threaded hole on the end? It appears it is going to be a bear to get off.

loganheadstockgear.jpg

Took a break from the headstock until I can figure it out and took apart the gear change assembly. Came apart fairly easy, but as you can see there is some rust mediation ahead. Also the gear change bracket is broke, but it looks like I can get one of these pretty easy.

logan gearchangebox.jpg View attachment 95555

Back