Picked this Logan up today

Looking Good, enjoying seeing the progress, I've never heard of the evapo rust, Where do you get it?

Dwayne

Looking Good, enjoying seeing the progress, I've never heard of the evapo rust, Where do you get it?

Dwayne

In my area Autozone and Oreilly's sells it. Works great, but it works it's best with warmer temps.

Here is another option for Evapo-Rust. Lots 'o good info here as well.

Evapo-Rust

All right, another question about the Evapo Rust, it says to submerge the piece in it, what about the lathe bed, can you just spray it on? Thanks for the help, I haven't taken mine down as far as you have. Been bringing more pieces home, 6"x18" Victor surfacing machine, it's got a lot of rust on it, a 1911 25 lb. Little Giant Trip Hammer, a 40 ton Hydrolic forging press that needs reworking, and some forges. I've got a couple of friends staying with me & working me like a sled dog. I think I'm gonna be glad when they leave so I can rest :shush:

Dwayne

All right, another question about the Evapo Rust, it says to submerge the piece in it, what about the lathe bed, can you just spray it on? Dwayne

No, you can not brush it or spray it. They are very specific in how to use it. This should tell ya all ye need ta know. How to use Evapo-Rust

Hope this helps.

ok it says after rust is removed you can spay it on with a spay bottle and it will protect it for 2-3 weeks, What the best way to clean something large that you can't submerge like the surfacing machine I just got, it's covered in rust.

Dwayne

ok it says after rust is removed you can spay it on with a spay bottle and it will protect it for 2-3 weeks, What the best way to clean something large that you can't submerge like the surfacing machine I just got, it's covered in rust.

Dwayne

Well, that is quite a broad question. And there are endless ways to do it, but here are a couple.

Machined surfaces I'd use either a light oil (WD40) or just a degresser and a ScotchBrite + elbow grease. For the cast surfaces either sandblasting or maybe this stuff Rust Release. Have not tried it myself.

Bear in mind, all of the processes take time. No quick simple fixes here. Hope this helps.

Dwayne

To start with, you break it down into manageable pieces. Then find containers that fit them closely. You can also use plastic to reduce the volume surrounding the part.

One way to use ER is to set it up in a tub with a recirculating fountain pump, and direct the flow over different areas as needed.

I am getting ready to clean the ways on my Logan and have decided how I am going to do it. Once I have a solution that works I will post it here for you.

Back