Picked up a Barker PM

I tore down the spindle and gave everything a good cleaning . The bearings cleaned up good and are still smooth,a couple of new seals and I can get it back together. TJ

IMG_20171216_150250879_HDR.jpg

Well I took a trip to a hydraulic shop that I use at work to rebuild a lot of my pumps & cylinders at the Railroad, I was able to match up the 2 large o rings the square ring is still soft enough to use if the round rings he gave me wont work, the felt was completely disintegrated and impregnated with chips, he fixed me up with a shaft wiper that fits very nice and will act like a wheel seal, he said they haven't used felt in his business in years. The bearings looked OK I will see how they perform under load since they are easy enough to get at if I decide to change them, I wanted to spend the money on a VFD for the mill. and the new bearings would have put a huge dent in the machinery fund "gotta choose your battles wisely" . Other than that I am going to replace some of the Allen screws as they have had a tough life a few gib screws were missing and one of the gib lock screws was broken off which I drilled out last night and got out with an ez-out. It was the first job for my almost finished Rockwell drill press, I love the Nos. Rohm keyless chuck that I picked up last year for the drill press I just wish it was 1/2 in capacity not 3/8. All in all a satisfying couple hours in the shop. T J Ps. will snap some pics when I get a chance

Well I know this is an older post but I stumbled on to a picture I didn't remember I had of the mill when I picked it up TJ

1506081603611-1338770539.jpg

I figure I will post an update, I now have the micrometer assemblies to hook up all 3 axis' I just picked up a wiper motor to see if It will work as a power feed for the table, I want to test it for variable speed first, once I have that out of the way I will order a new length of acme screw from McMaster Carr once I know how long it needs to be and a couple thrust washers to make life easier on the feed screws. I have scrounged up enough pieces to make the outboard arbor support & arbor . I brought home a Keller Power hack saw which totally wiped out the tool fund so the VFD for the new motor will have to wait for a while:)

Nice thread! Did you ever get all the dials set up? I just picked up one of these at auction and am cleaning it up now

Back