Picked up a Central Machinery 12 x 36

jlchapman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm helping a lady at work with an Estate sale and bought the Central Machinery 12 x 36. It came with the chip tray and the cabinets underneath. Came with a bunch of tooling. The lathe still has the plastic gear on it, but in the drawers is the replacement cast iron gear. For some reason it also came with 3 halfnuts still in the paper. The 4 jaw chuck is still in the paper and covered with some barrier. I have the purchase receipt from 1998, manual, and all the quality certifications when it was shipped. So far everything works. It leaks gear case oil, if it gets too bad I'll have to fix it.

Jerry

IMG_2345.JPG

Jerry,
Just saw your post - sorry I'm late!
I scored the same lathe last Thanksgiving in about the same (unused) shape, except I didn't get the stand.
Mine was leaking grease from around the spindle pretty badly. I took the top of the gear case off and found that it was about 2 quarts overfull! I siphoned off the excess (down to "Full" on the sight glass) and it hasn't leaked since. Hope you get as lucky.

Hi Mike,
Thanks. I love having a lath. The previous owner bought the chip tray then welded up a stand. The cabinets underneath are Kennedy boxes painted green with casters.
Mine leaks, I pulled the cover off and the level is normal. Right now the leaks are not bad enough to do something about them. I did add some Igage DROs.
Enjoy,

Jerry

Harbor Freight doesn't sell those big lathes anymore, apparently. I guess that makes it a collector's item. Who woulda thought
Mark S.

Imagine how many they could sell now. There's been a great increase in people looking for lathes and other machinery. You would think they would expand but no they drop items that sell well. I know of many items that I've bought aren't offered. Oh well he's mega rich must be doing something right.

Ive got one of those too, picked it up 3 years ago, good little machine to play with at home since I retired from job shop
machine work though I miss the big machines at times......:frown:

Back