Picked up a couple vices at an estate sale.

Very good buy. Both will clean up great. The only way that either one would be junk is if they were broken.

Don't scrap the tilting vise, surface rust won't hurt a vise....well...because it's a vise. It's probably literally bulletproof. At the very least coat it with oil and put it away in a corner. You'll forget about it, and you or somebody else will find it someday and might like it then. I hate to hear about people scrapping things, a sad end to a tool that may have seen so much use and care.

You can never have too many vises!

The Adj. Angle Vice is no where near as bad as you think. Take it apart and soak the parts in EvapoRust overnight. It will be good as new in the morning. HF has EvapoRust and many of the Big Box stores do also.

"Billy G"

Dont scrap the tilt vice, if you dont want it p.m. me and we can work out a deal!

Jake Parker

Thanks guys I soaked it in WD40 right away and last night I gave it a turn. It works ! There is some slop in the handle about a half turn before my eye sees movement. The hex nut you put a wrench on is twisted.
I've been insulating my barn so I can afford to heat it all winter . When done I plan to work on my mill and both vises .

Thanks guys I soaked it in WD40 right away and last night I gave it a turn. It works ! There is some slop in the handle about a half turn before my eye sees movement. The hex nut you put a wrench on is twisted.
Something that will work much better than WD40 for freeing rusted parts is a 50/50 mixture of transmission fluid and acetone.

I've been insulating my barn so I can afford to heat it all winter . When done I plan to work on my mill and both vises .
Thanks for this bit of inspiration. I'll try to finish my "play room".

I restore vises as a hobby & sideline. Below are pictures of a before & after restoration of 100+ year old Reed bench vise that was my biggest challenge. It had been laying in the dirt, behind a barn for 20+ years. This vise was truely locked up. Now it is a high quality shop centerpiece.

So, please do what you can to save that old arn, you'll be glad you did.

Happy Trails!

REED 204A.jpg 204-E.jpg

Great finds!!

And if jpfab ends up not wanting it, I'm in line.
Please

Daryl
MN

Thanks for this bit of inspiration. I'll try to finish my "play room".

I restore vises as a hobby & sideline. Below are pictures of a before & after restoration of 100+ year old Reed bench vise that was my biggest challenge. It had been laying in the dirt, behind a barn for 20+ years. This vise was truely locked up. Now it is a high quality shop centerpiece.

So, please do what you can to save that old arn, you'll be glad you did.

Happy Trails!

Very nice hard to believe they are the same vise very nice work ! I will try your mix to free up the base and swivel. What do you use for the clean up process ? I wouldn't think wire brush would be ideal for the machine surfaces ?
I'm a ways off from starting on them but it don't hurt to plan ahead .

I bought a tilting vise like that one made in Asia many years ago from Wholesale Tool. I just treated it like a set of castings,and took a light truing cut over the pertinent surfaces. There are gib screws you can adjust to reset for the little bit you take off. I still have it. It is not the most rigid pattern of tilting vise. Just take lighter cuts with it and it will do well.

Very nice hard to believe they are the same vise very nice work ! I will try your mix to free up the base and swivel. What do you use for the clean up process ? I wouldn't think wire brush would be ideal for the machine surfaces ?
I'm a ways off from starting on them but it don't hurt to plan ahead .

The most important thing to restoring a vise...like any other piece of equipment is extreme patience. It took a couple of months to do the restoration that I pictured above. Mainly because of the risk of damaging components.
After I separated all of the components, I used a braided wire cup wheel on an air sander and a braided wire wheel on a bench grinder to remove the rust. The bare metal details were polished with Scotch-Brite pad disks mounted to a small air grinder.
Painting, detailing, & clear coating, I'm sure that you know the drill.

Your vises don't look in that bad shape. I would guess that it would take a couple of weeks to restore. A lot of time to wait for the paint to dry.

I've said this in other vise related posts, check out "vises of garage journal" to get some great information.

Vise restoration is an addiction.

Back