Picked up a little mill finally.

What motor is missing/damaged?

I have a stone surface grinder I wonder how it would do on a mill table restoration. Imagine a 13" diameter head spinning with 10 stones and a constant coolant wash. Mine is smaller and would have to take 2 passes on a mill table end to end, I can only go 36" or so in travel. I am going to redo the top of a cylinder head fixture I have first, its not hardened and its needing it from all the oops over the years. Its just like a mill table in that it has 2 grooves for mounting stuff rather than multiple, and its about 10" deep and 48" wide.

Well the whole unit is in A1 shape. Gears all look perfect. Sadly, it came with no motor on it. I'm no purist and the new ones work better imo with the vari speed and RT. But man that old girl just looks so cool. I love mechanical looking

I hear ya Chuck, didn't realize the motor was missing all together. It would be nice to put her back to original, but sometimes that just doesn't work out well. If its a special motor I think you are looking at new.

Where bouts you at in Orlando? I thought about taking the table to school and cleaning it up but I dont think any of our grinders would have enough bed. I figure it's stress relieved already being ssome yahoo ran a fly cutter across it. aahaha.

Randy best I can tell, the drive gear is actualy cut into the motors shaft. I'm not on par with cutting worm gears or the like on a brand new motor. I just dig the old school look. But I figure chances are, I will be painting a new feed black to match my mill.
What motor is missing/damaged?

I have a stone surface grinder I wonder how it would do on a mill table restoration. Imagine a 13" diameter head spinning with 10 stones and a constant coolant wash. Mine is smaller and would have to take 2 passes on a mill table end to end, I can only go 36" or so in travel. I am going to redo the top of a cylinder head fixture I have first, its not hardened and its needing it from all the oops over the years. Its just like a mill table in that it has 2 grooves for mounting stuff rather than multiple, and its about 10" deep and 48" wide.

Orange and Mary Jess area, where Orange splits into separate left and right. I have never actually used one of these stone surfacers, all the ones I worked on had already been converted from stone to carbide/CBN. Its going to be awhile before I can do that and it came with a brand new set of stones so.............

With typical cast iron its 003 per pass I was told, I know if you slow down the transverse slow enough its going to make a very smooth finish. Like take 5 or more minutes to do a 36" pass. I would love to see what it could do to a beat up mill top.

I've never used one for sure. I'm not even sure what one looks like. I'm off Dean and 50. Little area no one knows is here where everyone is on 2 or more acres. If you ever want to get together or need some help just let me know. I cant see much hurting the table more then it is so if you ever feel froggy. ahahahaha

If you are game I am game, wanna trade helping me to get it running smooth? It needs a mini restoration like what you did to that Bridgeport. Here is a picture of the little baby (it has no knee so its only about 6' tall) Is your table 42" wide? If so I might be able to cover the entire surface though it would probably not get the full rotating head on the outer edges (passes from both sides) If we trammed it in really good it would be pretty flat I reckon when done. Head spins at 1450RPM, table transverse motor i am going to VFD it separately so I can slooooooow it down to a crawl.

rg35new_zps15d0aac9.jpg

rg35new_zps15d0aac9.jpg

I am always game to help out. You want to pull it down to metal or rough sand it or how much you looking to do? I would help just cause that thing is cool. ahahaha

You have a sand blaster? Paint stripper, needle scaler? Whats your thought on how your looking to go about it? Does it work and needs cleaned, or does it need "work"? Either way, I am game brother

Rough sand is all, then cover with Hammerite (the real stuff not the Home Depot stuff) The machined top surfaces and holding fixtures will be wet sanded with 400g just to derust. Need to clean out the ways and gibs, and oil and grease it all up. Probably 2 days total, one to tear down and paint and the other to assemble and make some stone dust test pieces. I think it works fine as is, but you can tell its been worked on and sitting unused for awhile. I spent more years in cylinder head shops than regular machine shops, so I have a "hobby" of collecting "unwanted" machines used in that field and make some side money from it to pay for them. This is basically a cylinder head resurfacer that with the grinding wheel options (you can go as small as a 4" diameter) you can grind all sorts of larger flat surfaces.

Back