picked up a rockwell lathe

kibby

Registered
Registered
hi everyone, picked this lathe at a school auction and I am wanting to restore it. I am missing the ROCKWELL tag on the top and the circular one below it does anyone know where I could get these?

lathe.JPG

Don't have one of those tags on hand but, if you can't find one and it's upsetting you to no end, I'll take that lathe off your hands for you to put an end to your distress.

Ray

hi everyone, picked this lathe at a school auction and I am wanting to restore it. I am missing the ROCKWELL tag on the top and the circular one below it does anyone know where I could get these?

hahaha thanks for the offer Ray, but I think I'll hang on to it for a bit. there were 6 Rockwell lathes at the school auction and they all sold for under $550.

You are very fortunate. That in my opinion is a very worthwhile hobbyist machine. Non-screw-on chuck, hardened V-ways, decent speends, wide bed (take that back, VERY wide bed), beefy compound, QCGB -and I'm guessing it weighs about 1/2 ton or slightly more. The only thing it doesn't have is feed-rod drive but that's not the end of the world. Would you mind tellng me the model number and what's the top speed on it? I'm guessing it hits 1200 RPM. I bet it has an oil pump in the gearbox with journaled shafts.

That is the cat's meow... Congrats!

Ray

hahaha thanks for the offer Ray, but I think I'll hang on to it for a bit. there were 6 Rockwell lathes at the school auction and they all sold for under $550.

I know, some of that stuff went cheap.
OT but I would have liked to had one of the Piano's, they were real new looking, with only a dollar bid on them.
Made me sick, No truck, no one to help me, and no room here for anything.
I just closed the auction , didn't even want to see what stuff went for.

try here , as they seem to be able to reproduce any plate

http://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/

have not used them myself, but found the website when looking for possible replacement plates for my 55 index mill

- Al

If you're really looking for a piano, I have a 54" grand for sale. PM if interested.

Ray

I know, some of that stuff went cheap.
OT but I would have liked to had one of the Piano's, they were real new looking, with only a dollar bid on them.
Made me sick, No truck, no one to help me, and no room here for anything.
I just closed the auction , didn't even want to see what stuff went for.

Well heck this old post

Last edited:
Back