• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

Picking up a Gorton 3-34 universal mill ...

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Spending the night at my sons place, and heading down to Colorado Springs area in the morning to load up 8000# of loveliness. 600 miles round trip, but I've been looking for something like this for a while, and the price was right. will post some pics when I get her home. Mike

Same mill, but the one I'm getting also has the vertical head.

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Sweet. Pics or it didn’t’t Happen!

tertiaryjim

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Have seen some nice machines sell really cheap.
Those are the ones that are big and manual so hobby shops cant support the amps to run them or don't want to
deal with such weight or size. Most working shops are selling them off to update equipment.
Perhaps I have the amperage available but no room.
Am seriously envious.
Good job!

Janderso

You are a better man than I sir. Well done. Pics and more pics please.

firestopper

Congrats Mike,
Have a safe journey and we're looking forward to seeing the "beast". A friend of mine has a Gorton mill he purchased from a university auction, Its a well built machine.

Paco

Last edited:

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Nice machine Mike.
As the saying goes, Go Big or Go Home

Greg

brino

Active User
That looks like a great mill Mike.
Congratulations!

So many questions....
What year?
What spindle taper?
What size motor?

I can't wait for some pictures.
-brino

I bet she's a honey, gortons are tanks , made to use forever . Hope she's good an tight in the right way. Smooth as silk in many ways. Am I drooling on this , well maybe I absolutely love big mills and machinery for metal. Best of luck , be careful moving her and the driving too. Little protection prayer going up too.

benmychree

John York
From what I see from the catalog page, it is not a "universal" mill; it does not appear to have a swiveling table; that would make it a "plain" horizontal milling machine, but very nice!

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
From what I see from the catalog page, it is not a "universal" mill; it does not appear to have a swiveling table; that would make it a "plain" horizontal milling machine, but very nice!
He said in P#1 that he is also getting the vertical milling attachment.

So what is the difference between a horizontal+vertical mill and a universal mill?

benmychree

John York
a universal milling machine is one that is equipped to cut spirals; the table screw shaft drives the dividing head through gearing, and the table swivels to match the spiral angle.

FOMOGO

Active User
Got home with the mill at 9pm this evening. Covered over 600miles altogether, through the Eisenhower tunnel at over 11k ft twice, and twice over Rabbit Ears pass, at close to 10k. Burned up about $180 in gas, and had to replace one trailer tire. My old Ford did well pulling around 12k pounds. Loading took a couple of hrs, that mill is seriously heavy. Tried to get the front raised a little with a six foot spud bar, and I could swear I heard the mill chuckling at me. My 12k winch finally prevailed, but it was a struggle. Came with 5ea. horizontal arbors with a ton of spacers, and 8ea. 50 taper tool holders along with some other tooling I haven't had time to look at yet. also got a 300gal. diesel tank and stand for free as he needed to get the storage unit emptied out. John, I believe you are correct on the universal part. The vertical head feature is pretty cool, you loosen four bolts and the whole head swings off to the side to allow use of the horizontal arbors. All in all, a splendid adventure,
and I got to hold my granddaughter again. Will get some better pics in the next day or two, but here are a few from the trip. Mike

P1010789.JPG P1010790.JPG P1010791.JPG P1010793.JPG P1010794.JPG

BROCKWOOD

Nice score & perfect excuse to hold your grandbaby!

hman

Active User
... or maybe holding the grandbaby was a good excuse to drive out for the mill ...

FOMOGO

Active User
Got a little time today to go through the arbors and tool holders, and get some better pics. Brino, the main spindle motor is 10hp-2 speed. The drive motor for X-Y-Z is 3hp, and the flood coolant pump is 1/4hp. Year of manufacture appears to be 1964. Going to have to up the ante on my 5hp RPC, I have two more 5hp 3phase motors I can piggy back on. I just went in and took a look at the BP, and it now looks kind of puny in comparison to the the Gorton. I think this is going to be a very versital machine, and will get a lot of use once I get the shop finished up this summer. Thanks for following along. Mike

Attachments

mksj

Active User
Now that is an incredible piece of iron/machine, I hope you have the space and the foundation to hold that machine. Really sweet and looking good.
Mark

BROCKWOOD

The foundation is a good topic. I figure with only 4 points of contact, there would be 2000 pounds each. Most concrete is good for 3000 per square ft. What is the correct way?

FOMOGO

Active User
Now that is an incredible piece of iron/machine, I hope you have the space and the foundation to hold that machine. Really sweet and looking good.
Mark
Thanks Mark. I have 2100 sf on the main floor in the new space, 300 of which is dedicated to my lathes and mills in a separated area. The floor in that space is 6" thick, 4000psi mix, and has an 18" grid of #4 re-bar. Should be more than adequate. Getting ready to apply densifier, and sealer in half of the shop next week, and should be moving the machines in next month some time. It looks like it's going to be a little crowded in there, but I think it will all work out. Cheers, Mike

[6]
[5] [7]