Picking up a Gorton 3-34 universal mill ...

Now that is an incredible piece of iron/machine, I hope you have the space and the foundation to hold that machine. Really sweet and looking good.
Mark

Thanks Mark. I have 2100 sf on the main floor in the new space, 300 of which is dedicated to my lathes and mills in a separated area. The floor in that space is 6" thick, 4000psi mix, and has an 18" grid of #4 re-bar. Should be more than adequate. Getting ready to apply densifier, and sealer in half of the shop next week, and should be moving the machines in next month some time. It looks like it's going to be a little crowded in there, but I think it will all work out. Cheers, Mike

I have the same machine just not the universal do you have a service manual or an owners manual for it?
FB_IMG_1514163249109_1520732078976.jpg

Mine is identical to yours. I was mistaken on the universal part. I found a reprint of the factory manual on E-Bay from a guy who provides them for several different machines. Haven't had a chance to go through it in detail yet, but at a glance it seemed good. Here is the site https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorton-2-2...hash=item58f670810a:g:tBoAAOxyRhBS6ZKv:sc:USP
Really looking forward to using it, but it's pretty low on the list at the moment. Have you had yours running yet? Cheers, Mike

20180123_184454.jpg

Attachments

• 20171220_120241 (539).mp4
    36.1 MB · Views: 8
Yea I had it up and running in a week off of my 1 phase 220 in the shop going to a 20 hp rotary phase converter runs like a dream. It came with a huge rotary table and I was able to barter a sweet heavy duty divided head for it. Love this thing I sold my bridgeport to get it and glad I did. The only down side is no quill but I've grown fond of just using the power z for it (was a learning process broke a few smaller bits) definitely keep it at the lowest feed speed and engage and dis-engage it to peck drill. I really want to find the slotting head for it and I'm still trying to figure out the vertical head on it I'm not sure if you can rotate it a little or if you're stuck only being able to set it at 90 degrees for the bolt pattern. I pulled it apart and hit it with a good bath of pb breaker but haven't had a chance to pull it back apart to see if it's just seized in place. If it is stuck to 90s I'll probably try to modify it to be adjustable or atleast drill it to put the head at a 45 to the table.

Mine has a 360 deg indexing ring on the head. I'm thinking it should adjust to any position you want. Will have to get the manual out and see if it says anything about it. Mike

Great to know mine doesn't have an indexing ring I guess it was an option mine didn't come with, looks like I'll be modifying.

Can you get some pics of your head and indexing ring for me?

Back