Picking up used HF 7x10, got questions...

Streetfighterkz

Registered
Registered
Hey,

I'm picking up a used HF 7x10 tonight. It comes with a Enco stand and quite a few extras.

I went through most of this sub-forum and seems like the first thing to do is clean and lube everything and then "tune" the machine.

Is there anything else I need to do before starting?

My only previous lathe experience was a machining class using some bigger Clausing or Colchester lathes.

Thanks for the great site and any help you can provide!

Later, Doug

Get a pair of safety glasses. Plastic pipe and fittings make cheap practice pieces. Have fun!

you'll have a lot of fun with the 7x10!!
i'd give it a general look over.
if you haven't messed around with the controls and features i would definitely do so before plugging it in.
set the speed pot to the lowest setting, disengage the carriage half nuts, give the chuck a spin by hand to make sure it's not bound up. if all the above check out , clear the LZ (landing zone) and plug er in.
my unit has an on/off switch and a 3 position (center off) directional switch, so might yours!!

you are gonna love the lathe, just be aware that the tool must be on center for these lil guys to perform best.
you may need a variety of tool bits (1/4 or 5/16)and shim stock or feeler gauges to raise the 1/4" bits.
if you're lucky enough 5/16" bits will be right on center, i wasn't so lucky...
i have custom ground 3/8" bits for the right height, but it's kinda a PITA.

Good luck and happy machining!!!
mike:))

Get a pair of safety glasses! for sure. I ran a Clausing, Colchester lathe at work. Best lathe I ever used. I loved stepping on the stop bar and it stopped. Loved the speeds and feeds also. And the tailstock. Going from that to a small lathe is not too much of a curve. I went from a craftsmans 618 to
a Clausing. I used my little 618 one night to put a "big production" company line back in busness. And if you drive a 1980's auto you may thank me.
:LOL:

OK, I got the lathe home but that's about as far as I got.

I do have another question now that the lathe and stand is in my possession. It appears that the stand is not designed for the small 7x10 lathe so what is my best solution to mounting and leveling it out?

Here is what I'm dealing with...
8F47841A-7948-47C4-A640-0E872781C59B-2795-0000013CB2FD45B9.jpg

Thanks.

Later, Doug

I take it that it is just sitting loose on the stand right now - I think I'd use a piece of plate or even 3/4" plywood bolted to the two risers on the stand then bolt the lathe down to that - if you got the original chip tray with the lathe, I'd use that between the plywood and the lathe, otherwise I'd make one from some sheet metal to catch any coolant and chips.

From experience, the more mass that you can bolt to the lathe the better off you will be. I have mine bolted to a very sturdy wooden bench with a double 3/4" top, and it could really use some more. For that stand I would try to find a chunk of steel plate 1/2"-3/4" thick to mount to the lathe, and table. Doesn't need to be very wide, 4-6" would work, say the width of the standoffs on the cabinet?

-Cody

Congrats on your new HF7X10, I'm sure you are going to love it. To really make it more user friendly, when you can, find or look for a QCTP (quick change tool post) It can make changing tools and going from a facing tool to a boring bar, or cut off, so much less complicated and for the most part it can help you find the very center of the work piece. No more fumbling with Allen head bolts and trying to realign the tool post that comes with the machine as sold.
The QCTP can be found at sites like The Little Machine shop, and you can order one from A-Z for about $100.00. This will allow you to have 4 quick change tools already mounted and it takes only seconds to go from one operation to the next. Most kits include 2 cutter modules, and a cut off and boring bar holder. all of them are made adjustable to raise and lower to find a quick center or to compensate for a larger or small size cutting tool. I think it will fit anything form 1/4" to 1/2" cutters, without using shims.

The next and also very important thing is have good lighting, that you can direct on the work.

After you have used it a little you will see the limitations of the 3" chuck that comes with it as sold, and you may be tempted to buy a bigger chuck, be sure to look into a 4 jaw chuck instead of the self centering 3 jaw type, with a 4 jaw you can hold odd shapes and square stock that you could never hold with a 3 jaw. I prefer a chuck that each jaw is adjusted individually, with a little practice and a dial indicator it becomes 2nd nature and only takes minutes to do, allowing you to even mount and turn rectangular, and offset material, (think crankshaft) if that is what you want to do. You will be amazed how much more material handling, you can do with just going to a 4" chuck, and anything bigger then that will probably be too heavy for this little machine.

Remember that this is a mini lathe, and as such it cannot hog off deep heavy cuts in most any material, trying to cut too much material at a time is the quickest way to destroy the gear train, and smoke the little motor.

Protect your eyes and keep the chips out of the gears under the saddle, keep the ways clean and well oiled and the regular use of a chip brush, an air blowgun or vacuum, and keeping the gibs adjusted and you will have years of fun with this great little machine. I think the 7X10, is probably the best bang for your buck of any Powertool made, 90 pounds of dynamite.
ENJOY

gwstoneb,

That's for all the advice!

I think the only mods I'm going to do is the QCTP, 14" bed, and metric threading kit. Most likely in that order.

I did get a 4-jaw chuck and faceplate with the lathe. But I think the 4-jaw is also a 3".

I actually just put up a 4' fluorescent directly about the lathe. I may still invest in a smaller spot light though.

I really want to start playing around with it but I'm in the process of cleaning and re-greasing the entire machine, and adjusting the gibs right now.

Thanks again!

Later, Doug

I will echo the advice of others and say that you'll increase you enjoyment of the machine many times over with a quick-change tool post. I use mine quite often for little things here and there and being able to set it up in 30 seconds vs. 5 minutes makes all the difference in the world. Another thing I would highly recommend is a modification to the compound lock. Not sure if you've noticed yet, but you have to back the slide all the way out to set the compound angle (screws are underneath), which can also be a frustration, especially if you have to adjust it multiple times to get it "just right". This and many more modifications are shown on a multitude of websites for enthusiasts of this machine. Good luck and have fun!

Allen

Back