Picking up used HF 7x10, got questions...

Wholesale Tools has three different QC tool posts for the mini lathe, the least expensive is only $40. I plan on ordering one - don't know if anyone else on here has used one or not, but they look like they should work fine. Here is the one I'm looking at. http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...l+Post+Set+(WT)&update_continue_shopping=true
It thas been a low priority since for me since I have a Harrison L6 lathe as well as the mini lathe.
Dan

Mine's been really good to me, don't waste your money on the HF carbide bits, they are lousy.
I've ground a few tools from 3/8" HSS to center height and they work great!

The only things I've done are:

scrub the machine super clean and re-lube everything
(then played with alot of 6061 aluminum and come cold rolled steel)

Made a height setting gage:

Height setter 2 sm.JPG

Ground a few tools to fit the lathe and they cut really well

Cut a few MT2 tapers for dedicated center drill holders

Center drill holders.JPG

Re-adjust / tune the lathe to tighten up all the slop it had

After running it for a while, I decided today to bore out the chuck to 3/4" ID (nice mod!)

3in chuck small.JPG

Now that I bored out the chuck, I made a boring bar holder for 3/8" round shank boring bars

Boring Bar sm9.JPG

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...You-Do-in-Your-Shop-Today?p=135369#post135369

Hmmm.... What next?

Center drill holders.JPG Height setter 2.JPG Height setter 2 sm.JPG 3in chuck small.JPG Boring Bar sm9.JPG

Last edited:
Just be careful with the cheaper QCTP's and make sure you can get extra tool holders as needed. I have several so I can swap tools super quick and they are already set on center too. I just loosen the lever, swap the tool and go back to work. The 7X machines have a huge following and there is a plethora pf cool mods and ball cutters all over the net. LMS is your real go to source for spare parts and Chris know these machines inside out, so he will usually steer you right the first time and every time if you need parts or accessories. I also buy tool blanks by the handfuls off of Ebay for really cheap and have been very pleased with their performance even with my poor grinding technique. It has gotten better over time, but it was still good enough to cut when I first started. So put on the beer goggles (Safety Glasses) and dive in as soon as you get it all cleaned and adjusted. It will be a blast learning to make scrap and parts too.

Bob

I went ahead and ordered one of the $40 tool posts - no extra holders are shown, but I will probably make some myself - I need a project to help me learn to use my mill anyway, and these are pretty simple holders. I think I have some pieces of aluminum that should work pretty good and be easy to work with. I should have it in a few days - I'll post a photo of what I get.

Here are most of the extras I got with the lathe.
LatheStuff.jpg

It looks like I may have some sort of QC setup but I don't know if everything is there to use it or not..

Later, Doug

I've seen that holder somewhere, but not sure where. Harbor Freight may have sold that one at one time. It looks like you have three holders, and it looks like it is complete, so it should get you started. It does not look like making new holders would be as simple as ones for the the holder from WT. A closer pic of just the tool holder would help. Looks like you got quite a few accessories! I see the steady, a follow rest, faceplate, and 4 jaw chuck - all of which should be useful....

Dan

Went ahead and picked up the $39 QC toolpost from Wholesale Tool. here are a couple pics of what you get for $39. It should work fine for my purposes, and I am in the process of drawing up the holder part so that I can make more if i want to. I would be more that happy to share the drawings with anyone who wants them. Biggest possible problem I see is lack of adjustment range. Adding a recess in the top of the holder to allow the nut to go below the surface will fix that, if needed. Looks like it is menad for 5/16 and 3/8 tools, which should be fine for the 7 x 10 lathes. !/4" bits might need a shim under them. One holder is grooved for a boring bar, but i think I wll make a dedicated bored out holder for it later on. I'll need to buy a 60 degree dovetail cutter first, though. I did confirm that they do NOT have any parts or extra holders available for this set - I suggested that they should consider adding extra holders, but I'm sure that won't go anywhere. Please excuse the fuzzy photos.

DSCF1849.JPG DSCF1850.JPG

Went ahead and picked up the $39 QC toolpost from Wholesale Tool. here are a couple pics of what you get for $39. It should work fine for my purposes, and I am in the process of drawing up the holder part so that I can make more if i want to. I would be more that happy to share the drawings with anyone who wants them. Biggest possible problem I see is lack of adjustment range. Adding a recess in the top of the holder to allow the nut to go below the surface will fix that, if needed. Looks like it is menad for 5/16 and 3/8 tools, which should be fine for the 7 x 10 lathes. !/4" bits might need a shim under them. One holder is grooved for a boring bar, but i think I wll make a dedicated bored out holder for it later on. I'll need to buy a 60 degree dovetail cutter first, though. I did confirm that they do NOT have any parts or extra holders available for this set - I suggested that they should consider adding extra holders, but I'm sure that won't go anywhere. Please excuse the fuzzy photos.

I'm guessing, a recess on the toolholder side to bring the tool center higher not the base side?

I bought my first accessory for my lathe. I just ordered the tailstock cam lock kit from LMS. I realized that it will be well worth the price after performing the "center drill, drill, tap, repeat" routine a couple times last night.

So far I'm having fun with the two little projects I have done. Just need to keep learning and enjoying myself and I have no doubt the lathe will become a very worthwhile investment.

Later, Doug

Back