Pics of the emco v13

Put a gator forged tech tru chuck on her and picked up a nice precision matthews drill chuck and some carbide tooling. She has some cosmetic damage but overall in really good shape. Had to polish the tailstock taper, and evaporust the pulleys and gears, but the headstock and ways are in excellent condition.

Nice that you have it up and running, now just pull out the credit card and get busy buying much needed tools.
Congrats

I see a small Pic, where’s the rest , full size would be nice

Did you ever get the spindle bearings pre-loaded correctly? How did your spindle run out issues turn out?

Thanks for the likes ,guys, and I will see what I can do about a bigger picture for sure.

Mike,
I picked up a proper spanner and was able to put a preload on the bearings that allowed the play to go down to just under .0005 from .006 with the new chuck and a piece of cold rolled chucked up. Runout is a flicker on the dot. Swept the tailstock spindle with a coax and alignment is at .0005 though I haven't checked for taper just yet. Ran the machine per instructions in the manual (BIG thank you to you) and the headstock was warm to the touch after 15 minutes at high speed. I wasn't able to get them tight enough for the "spin the chuck hard by hand" and get one rotation, but it's about 1.5-2. I tightened up the belt to the recommended tension, and got the drive gears set properly as well.
The splash guard was damaged in the fall that it had (I am assuming a fall), and the handles on the tail stock, half nut, and high/low (s/r) gear selector had to be replaced...thanks to mcmaster Carr it was quite painless....I know, you have a lathe and you bought handles! Yes, I did. Not proud but I did.
The half nut lever was actually snapped off at the root and I had to mill a slot in the stub to get it out...this thing is built quite well to have taken a wack hard enough to break a 10mm shaft and only have a bent set screw in the apron. I have since threaded with the machine and the half nuts are perfectly smooth and engage/disengage with no issue.
Mike

Last edited:
1521287270956-810481001.jpgand here is what the emco replaced. Not completely replaced, mind you, but pretty close. There will always be a place for the south bend in my little shop.

I picked up a proper spanner and was able to put a preload on the bearings that allowed the play to go down to just under .0005 from .006 with the new chuck and a piece of cold rolled chucked up. Runout is a flicker on the dot. Swept the tailstock spindle with a coax and alignment is at .0005 though I haven't checked for taper just yet. Ran the machine per instructions in the manual (BIG thank you to you) and the headstock was warm to the touch after 15 minutes at high speed. I wasn't able to get them tight enough for the "spin the chuck hard by hand" and get one rotation, but it's about 1.5-2. I tightened up the belt to the recommended tension, and got the drive gears set properly as well.

Glad you got it better, Mike. When you have a chance, stick a good DTI in the spindle taper and check the concentricity that way - rotate by hand one revolution and see what you get. The typical Emco spindle can run out near or at zero. Them Austrians know how to build a lathe!

Those levelers look suspiciously like Royal machine levelers - how are they working out for you?

I check ebay for Emco parts from time to time. If I spot a thread dial indicator, I'll let you know.

Glad she's up and running - happy for you, Mike!

Back