Pictures of the PM-833T

Looks great, thank you for posting the pictures.

Nice mill. Looks like a modernized improvement of the RF-45 platform. I'm not sure how PM sells/integrates the X-axis power feed unit for this particular mill, but if its the typical Align/clone type that clamps on the table pocket, I think that design leaves something to be desired. This how I remedied mine. After a couple months now I can say its never run better & stays that way.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rf-45-mill-power-feed-mount-improvement.64766/#post-538501

Very nice upgrade on your mill Petertha.

I have not decided what I am going to regarding power feed or CNC. I would really like to make it a CNC mill, but that would require a significant outlay and the finance department might get cranky(er). I have limited knowledge at this point on the consensus between stepper motors vs. servo. I know that if I want to maintain manual function of the mill that servo motors have an advantage there, along with their continous feedback to the driver. I also am considering a DRO and power feeds, but if I go that route, then making it a CNC mill would be pushed way back on the timeline due to $$.

I can't believe the 833 does not have an option for a DRO. Are you planning on one?
R

I can't believe the 833 does not have an option for a DRO. Are you planning on one?
R

I actually didn't even notice that there was not an option for a DRO. I would either add a DRO soon, or if I do a CNC conversion there's no sense in adding a DRO. I'm leaning towards a DRO because I don't see the finance department approving the outlay for a CNC. If I go that route i will pick one up from AliExpress.

Congratulations on you new machine. Nice work on the stand too.

Great pics!
I have actually just ordered a DRO on ebay, with US/CAN exchange rate it will be about 400$CAN, or about 300US
The scales needed are 600mm (X), 450mm (Z) and 300 mm (Y)
I welded the base yesterday and I must say, I am jealous when I look at your welds! Mines looks more like the surface of the moon! The grinder is my friend LOL! But I am new to welding, I bought my Miller last summer and this base is my second welding project. The welding tab
le was my first!

I am going back to my workplace to continue dismantling the machine and I still have to set my little shop in the basement this week!

My problem is the machine arrived 2 weeks earlier than I expected...

And yes, everything is silky smooth on this machine, I concur with 7milesup that good attention to details was given on this machine.
Luc

I believe this would make and awesome CNC machine! Blue-luke- what specific DRO did you order?
Robert

Neil, That is a very nice mill. Thanks for posting all the photos and ideas for a well built stand. This will help others turn loose of some of their cash!

The mill looks like the typical Precision Matthews sourced Taiwanese equipment in terms of quality and finish.

Back