Pictures of things made in Home Shop CNC

My small, but growing, collection of carbide insert holders were all made on the X2 under CNC control.

From top to bottom they are:

WNMT lathe tool in aluminum
CCGT lathe tool in 12L14 steel
Right hand DCMT lathe tool in aluminum
Center DCMT lathe thool in aluminum
Right hand DCMT lathe tool in aluminum

The end mill is a .625" 2 flute CCGT end mill with a .5" shank made out of 12L14 steel

a30TrXm.jpg

great work shooter! you're making the rest of us look bad though. haha.

on a side note, how well does the aluminum tool holder work? get any chatter from it? Also how much do you typically offset your screws for your inserts?

great work shooter! you're making the rest of us look bad though. haha.

on a side note, how well does the aluminum tool holder work? get any chatter from it? Also how much do you typically offset your screws for your inserts?
Well thats nice to hear! :)

The aluminum works fine for lighter work. It works work turning aluminum and steels just fine, but if you push it too hard, it starts to deform the insert seat and it loosens up. Before that happens, there is no chatter that I can fault the tool holder for. It performs as well or better than the factory steel ones I have.

For the screws, I usually model it up and model the hole directly in the middle of the insert seat, then when I run it, I let the machine position itself, stop the program, off set it .003 to .005 (depending on insert size) toward the wall. Its been working well so far.

interesting. Why not just model it with the offset and let the program/mill do all the work?

interesting. Why not just model it with the offset and let the program/mill do all the work?
Initially, it was because I was having an issue with fusion getting it to model correctly (I can't remember what exactly the problem was though) and my mill had problems with losing its position so cutting the pocket then sticking the insert in and having it move to the center of the insert helped make sure it was position right.

Now, I could probably do it all the right way, but its a habit that stuck and I hadn't considered doing it any other way until just now...

Alright shooter, i'm upping my game here.

Made some plastic injection molds the other day, and i feel like this needs explanation as i don't want to be known as the guy who makes fidget spinners for fun. I'm the vice-president of the triple cities makerspace and NY state contacted us to attend the NYS fair with an interactive booth. So I made these molds to work with our plastic injection molder. We used recycled plastic to make the spinner bodies and then let the kids assemble them. Lots of fun was had.

molds.jpg

Alright shooter, i'm upping my game here.

Made some plastic injection molds the other day, and i feel like this needs explanation as i don't want to be known as the guy who makes fidget spinners for fun. I'm the vice-president of the triple cities makerspace and NY state contacted us to attend the NYS fair with an interactive booth. So I made these molds to work with our plastic injection molder. We used recycled plastic to make the spinner bodies and then let the kids assemble them. Lots of fun was had.

View attachment 240748
And you said it was me making you look bad... That's awesome!

I got my first little steam engine running yesterday. The CNC mill was basically a very nice drill press for locating the places to drill. That and squaring the stock. The majority of the project was manual lathe work, turning the flywheel and smaller, but more fiddly crank wheel (you literally cut away something like 80% of the aluminum you start with).

It was very cool to have it start running once I gave the flywheel a good flick.

Back