Pictures of things made in Home Shop CNC

I think I would like to try my hand at Robot Competitions but have not run across any in the Austin Tx area. Plus a little intimidated by the probable cost to build then repair/maintain

3D tool path FAIL

This is a test of a 3D tool path to make a crimping die for a project. On the final finishing pass something failed and the machine went crazy. No harm done because we were testing in UHMW. Glad it wasn't tool steel. :cautious: Still trying to figure out what the problem is. Wading through 41,000 lines of code is a bit of a chore, but I know it's in the last few thousand lines. :confused 3:

Nobody writes 41,000 line Gcode files by hand, right?, so whatever it was that wrote the code barfed it up.

It might be good to run the Gcode in a software previewer to see if it simulates as bad. If it doesn't simulate as bad, it might be an electrical noise spike or something confused the machine. You could do a second piece if you have the plastic to test it on. See if it goes crazy at the same spot.

Nobody writes 41,000 line Gcode files by hand, right?, so whatever it was that wrote the code barfed it up.

It might be good to run the Gcode in a software previewer to see if it simulates as bad. If it doesn't simulate as bad, it might be an electrical noise spike or something confused the machine. You could do a second piece if you have the plastic to test it on. See if it goes crazy at the same spot.

I found the problem, it was a botched setting in the post processor setup. This is the first 3D part we've tried, so it showed a bit issue in the software, it didn't like the YZ arc move. That will get fixed as soon as I have time. Just ran a couple of perfect parts, I'll post pictures later.

I notice that the first one had a little notch in either side, right in the middle at the low point of the concave shape, and this one is straight in the same places.

Just a coincidence or part of the problem?

I notice that the first one had a little notch in either side, right in the middle at the low point of the concave shape, and this one is straight in the same places.

Just a coincidence or part of the problem?

I'm not sure. I think that was part of the original problem. We need to do a lot more testing on some different parts to find other anomalies. At the same time we are learning how to setup 3D parts in Fusion 360. Next is full 4 axis profiling :)

Back