Pimped My HF 20 Ton Shop Press

I received the knob for the jack valve today. It is a beautiful piece of machine work and fits perfectly and locks on with a set screw.
Knob.jpg

I have the HF orange version of the 20T and I've done some of the same mods as yours.

The moving cross bar on mine was a sloppy fit so I added some strips of plastic.

press shims1.JPG

I like the winch setup you did. I think that will be my next mod to the press, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I received the knob for the jack valve today. It is a beautiful piece of machine work and fits perfectly and locks on with a set screw.
Where did you order the knob from. and about how much. I just got one of these, and am now wanting to start the upgrades. Kind of a pain to move without wheels, and hate having to use the handle or pliers to turn the valve. Have thought about just making one once I get my lathe back together. Bought the press to press the spindle out of it, was kind of stuck.

I bought the wheels from HF. They have 1/2" studs, but you'll need to get the nuts from a hardware store. They don't come with the wheels.

Thanks, I was wandering what wheels . prob to soon to tell how well they will hold up. The other thing that I was wandering is if the angle iron is heavy enough to hold up without bending when you have heavy parts on it and pressing. I know I saw one, think project of the day or something where they guy built a frame for it to sit in that had wheels. I've had some heavy stuff fall on me before after legs give out so do not wish to repeat, especially with an expensive part in it or something.

The angle seems sturdy, but it wouldn't hurt to reenforce it. Please post photos of yours and any mods you do.

20 tons. Well that is a lot of muscle. May I ask what kind of projects you guys are doing that require such power. Would this be the next step up from an arbor press?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back