Pin Gage Rust Prevention?

Last edited:
I use VCI paper for tools well enclosed in boxes.
Yeah, that is the key to VCI paper. To be effective you have to limit free air circulation around the metal to be protected. Either place the paper in a closed container or completely wrap the tool in the paper.

Here is an explanation of hoe VCI paper works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_corrosion_inhibitor

VCI paper is available on eBay but at a horrendous price. The vendors dealing in packaging materials offer a much better price . $.06/sq. ft. from Global Industrial and $.07/sq. ft. from ULine. The issue is the quantity.... 1000 sheets. That would be a many lifetime supply for most of us.

A good HM project would be to buy the bulk and offer it to members in smaller quantities, say 10 to 50 sheets. Shipping would be the killer but if 9 x 12" sheets were purchased (ULine,$58/1000), 10 in an envelope would mail for $1.30 and 50 for $2.50. Per sheet cost would be %.058 plus some s%h and overhead.

It would be a great idea for giveaways for sale at some of the group gatherings as well.

Last edited:
Do these have a shelve life,say if a person keeps them sealed till a sheet is needed.Say if you keep them in a baggie?
Is this the correct paper?

Last edited:
Do these have a shelve life,say if a person keeps them sealed till a sheet is needed.Say if you keep them in a baggie?
Is this the correct paper?
I have had much better results than the link suggests. I do use the paper in closed boxes, and I do keep my stock in air and water tight packaging. I was a parts guy for 40 years. Many parts came in thin cardboard boxes with ends that just pushed into place, no sealing at all, no plastic around the parts. It was quite uncommon to see a factory part in a box with VCI paper with even the slightest amount of corrosion, even new old stock (NOS.) I have seen surplus parts in simple cardboard boxes that have been left out in the weather, and those corroded badly. I live in the California central valley. Just my experience, and worth all that you paid for it... ;)

Guys my VCI paper has come in,and I have to say will it looks like just piece of plain ole paper.I don't smell anything,so I cut a piece to fit into my block gage set so I hope this works.Any suggestions,there's not much to it so I guess it absorbs moisture?
Paper.jpg

I have the same stuff. It lets off a chemical that prevents rusting. It only really works in closed containers, so it should be fine with your gage blocks. However, it will go bad if you do not store your stock of VCI paper in a package with minimum air and zero leakage. A large Ziploc bag that has zero leaks, and you squeeze all the air out of it as you seal it, will work well.

By the way, Kroll, your photos do not show what type paper you have there. Here is a source to the maker:
Look for sure at the compatibility chart of the different products:

Back