Pin Gage Set & Rust Prevention?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I pick up a Pin Gage set M2 - other day which few had little surface rust on them which I cleaned up best I could.Well having a set from .251-.500 there were a few to be cleaned and all was spray with some rust prevention.These have been stored in it original container but they still had some rust on them.What I was wondering guys is things such as pin gages,block gages,squares or anything that you want to stay rust free what do you do?Lets say these pin gages,my first thought is keep them lube up with something then is there something that can lay over the top of them that been soak this a lube spray say T9?What I did till I hear back from you guys,is I use a product here in pick,spray a rag then wipe them down.But I want to lay over the top a piece of brown paper sack over the top and soak it with the same spray.Since pin gages in hobby shop does not get used that much I just want a good plan for storing them and not open the box up find they are all rusty.What is ya'll planSpray Lube.jpegPins.jpg

How about VCI (anti-corrosion) paper. I save them anytime tools, etc, that I purchase comes with them. I keep a sheet inside my gauge block set. Not sure how good they work, I don't have any rust but then again where I live we don't have humidity issues.

20190624_155801.jpg20190624_155746.jpg

In my drawers I have desiccant. I have the ones in metal cases that are "renewable", just bake them when they get full with moisture then reuse. I also save the disposable pouches of dessicant that come with things also but just the bigger pouches, I don't bother with the small ones. You can buy just the dessicant & use your own containers but the VCI paper would make more sense to keep inside the pin guage case.

20190624_155723.jpg

Put a sheet of VPI or VCI paper (Vapor Phase Inhibitor, or Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) in the box with your pins. Interestingly, it works better with bare steel than with oiled or otherwise protected steel.
Go to the manufacturer's site to see what each type is best used for BEFORE making a purchase. Get the right ones for YOUR shop climate and YOUR metals. The stuff works great, just keep air from moving in and out of the container. It does, however, work pretty well with just a sheet laid over the tools in your tool boxes. It is very easy to use, no oily parts, and it lasts for a decently long time. Just make sure you use the correct stuff for what you are trying to protect. VPI and VCI chemicals are also sold as a powder product, often seen in little porous bags that come with parts or tools. They work best without oil or other rust inhibitors also being around.

Edit: Will beat me to it...

Second edit: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vpi+vci+paper&_sacat=0

Last edited:
I use Starrett M1. It was recommended by Starrett for my gage block set, angle block set and pin gage set. It seems to do a really good job. Prior to my most recent acquisition, the angle block set, I was using straight Jojoba oil. I use it on my Lie Nielsen wood planes and it is a great rust inhibitor and completely safe. The move to the M1 was only because it was recommended by Starrett and given the small fortune invested, I thought it wise to adhere to their guidance.

a96c10a5b28daa485384da960cdf8674.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I inadvertently left some extra Johansen blocks oiled with Starrett oil and touching. Years later they were all brown from the oil.

I wipe my tools with Fluid Film on a leather chamois cloth. It goes a very long way, doesn't discolor metals and is easy enough to wipe off. I keep the cloth in a ziplock bag. Many guys use it for guns, cars and farm implements too. It's lanolin, a natural wax from sheeps wool and its pretty much weatherproof. Never seen any rust on anything I've used it on.

I have a really big dehumidifier (100 pint) running year round in my 600 ft² shop. Humidistat is set for 45%. I never had a rust problem.

You need to keep them in a wooden storage box. Sometimes you can find them on E Bay

I don’t use oil on precision gauges - the film thickness is significant enough to make measurements inaccurate and it will stop slip gauges wringing together. VCI paper laid close to the gauges and inside a close-fitting container is best. The less sealed the container the more frequently you need to replace the VCI paper.

Mal

Back