Pin spanner - buy or make?

pgmrdan

Registered
Registered
I need a pin spanner. I've never bought one. Granger has quite a selection but I'm not sure how they're categorized so I don't know which to choose. Should I just make one?

I have made a number of pin spanners from 3/8" to 3". They are super easy to make. I will just drill two holes for dowel pins. The pins are either pressed in or I weld the back side of the pin. LocTite, epoxy, or super glue can also be used.
The last spanner that I made fit the spindle nuts on my Tormach 770. I had received a number of extra wrenches fot my ER20 collet chucks and I modified one by grinding out clearance for the spindle.
Here are some of the specialized spanners that I made. The larger ones were for working on outboard motor lower units.Spanner 1 .JPG

Seems to me like that would be an awesome project! Copy the one Zoro sells!
I bought one like this from Amazon for $20. It's made for bikes but I have used it on various things

Robert

Those are the other type. Here's the type I need. Should be easy enough to make one. Looks like the wrench covers about 1/3 rd of the circumference of the nut it's made to tighten.

Last edited:
I have about 20 or so . You know what you need ?

The diameter of the nut is about 1 11/16". The pin hole is about 13/64" (just under 7/32"). And the nut is about 0.4" thick so the wrench should be no thicker. (It's a metric nut.)

Thanks.

Let me look down in the dungeon , think I was selling them for 7 bucks . :)

I never made one out of an adjustable wrench but I save that picture as a reminder if I ever need one. Seems like a great idea.

Back