Pinning pulley to shaft

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
2020-07-01 16.01.37.jpgI am thinking of fastening the pulley to the motor in this way. The bolt will be grade 8 and loctited in place. The shaft extension is near press fit on both the pulley and motor shaft. The extension was fit to the motor shaft first. Then I chucked the motor into the lathe and turned the extension to fit the pulley to eliminate as much wobble or runout as I could. I think maybe a pin on the side of the shaft or threaded pin through the motor shaft and extension and another through the extension and pulley after it is assembled. Or is that necessary?

Depending on the torque applied to the pulley I would think you need something more to keep it from slipping on the shaft. A taper or key or cross pin as you suggest.

I agree. Some other method of counteracting torque is required.
Robert

I had an application a bit like this for a sliding garage door opener, sprockets instead of pulleys. There was a lot of starting torque required. I tried with setscrews through the sprocket and fought that for a few months, tightening (yep, used loctite) as needed when things would slip. Finally I milled a keyway in the shaft and broached a matching keyway in the sprocket. No more problems.

Drill and tap a 2 holes 180 degrees apart 1/2 way between the od of the shaft and the id of the pulley. Install a set screw That will secure it. You didn't indicate the size of the items just be sure to use a big enough set screw that spans both parts. This will lock the parts against any torque. You could even add 3 @120 degrees apart

Back