Pip squeak engine

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
This will be my first large machining project. I got a set of plans for the Pip squeak engine from Little Machine Shop and will be trying to follow along. I thought I'd go ahead and start an in progress thread following its construction.

The plans and some of the metal stock I will hopefully be turning into something that goes chug chug chug...

Pip Squeak 1.jpg

I’ll bet this won’t be your last engine. I’ll be following along.

You will have fun, Post a close up of the cover so we can see what it looks like.

I have done several AL and brass ones, even did a PMResearch dual cylinder that Has been dropped since and needs some rework (think it bent something.

Not a great photo on the cover, but it gives some idea what it is supposed to look like. On mine I'm going to go for a more colorful finish. Thinking Hunter Green and red along with the exposed brass. The final engine should be very appropriate for display at Christmas time. That also sets a deadline for me, which I hope to beat with lots of time to spare.

Pip Squeak 2.jpg

I started with the whistle, the vertical brass piece at the top. One of the primary reasons I decided to do this was to broaden my skills. I've mostly just done little things using fairly basic operations.

I broke out the radius turning attachment for the first time, to make the rounded top. Pretty neat little device once I got it figured out.

Pip Squeak 3 radius.jpg

After forming the body of the whistle I had to drill it out. I started with a 3/16 spotter drill bit, then did the rest with a #20 drill bit. I've done a few shallow drilling operations with the tail stock before, but nothing like this. The part is 1 1/8" long and I drilled to a depth of 1". The base diameter is 1/4" and will be threaded when done.

Pip Squeak 4 drilling.jpg

The plans are vague in some areas, one of the critical bits being a lack of a materials list... I had to go through and figure out what was needed by looking at all the various parts.

It also fails to give dimensions in a few spots. On this particular piece it gives good length dimensions, but fails to provide the final diameter of the bell and base, beyond the starting stock (5/16" brass hex), so I've had to kind of wing it. I turned the bell to about 9/32" and the base to 1/4". The instructions call for a bore hole with a 3/16" drill bit, but as that leaves a wall thickness of only 1/32" I used a smaller #20 drill bit. That just means I'll have to adjust the size of the plug that gets inserted when I get there.

While perhaps not the most complete plans, I'm finding the added challenge helpful as it makes me think a little bit more about what I'm doing.

Last edited:
yea, a list of materials would be nice, I have done a couple where I had to look at all the diff pieces needed. Figure out what I would need by taking all the stuff about the same size and adding together then making allowances for cuts and work holding etc. Some times I'm a bit off short or long. Do not mind left over that I can use on others. But being short and having to wait to get some more is a pain.

I see you have a Sherline 4400 lathe, I have it and the 5400 mill that I put an extended column on. Now I have a bit bigger lathe and mill I can use for bigger stuff but also keeping the sherline stuff for small items.

I have the same set up on the 5400. I bought them for making model parts, so the size is fine for now. As it goes though you buy a new tool, you find new things to do with them which often leads to bigger things.

I was checking the scrap bin at my local metal place they other day. They have a small machine display / sales area off to the side and just got in a Jet 9x20 lathe. While I don't need it now, I could definitely see something of that general size following me home in a couple years.

Whistle is done!

Threaded the base using the tail stock and chuck to keep everything straight. Picked up this tip from Mr Pete 222 / Tubalcain's youtube videos on threading with taps and dies.

Pip Squeek 5 threading.jpg

Whistle body and insert. The insert has a flat spot filed down that doesn't really show in the photo.

Pip Squeek 6.jpg

Whistle with insert, inserted. It does whistle if I blow through it, so success. :abnornal:

Pip Squeek 7.jpg

Back to work...

Apologies if any of this is too basic. I'm also posting to a model site where machine tools are not so common so trying to catch a photo of something from each step of the process.

A member here kindly donated a chunk of brass for the flywheel.

Another first, this is biggest thing I've turned so far. I finally had to reverse the jaws on the chuck.
I was getting some crazy chips. It sounds like the brass might actually be bronze.

Turning flywheel.jpg

Got it faced and turned, then the spotter drill for the shaft.

Center drilling.jpg

The shaft will be 5/16" so I went a 64th undersize so I can try and get a snug fit. The Cheap HF 115 bit drill set is working out, I didn't expect much for $30 and it is far exceeding those low expectations, so yay! :grin:

drill flywheel.jpg

Added some face detail and polished up the outer rim. The instructions are fairly vague here, so I just kind of worked it until I liked the look. I made the center that will face the engine extend 0.002" beyond the rim to provide some clearance. I don't know if it needs it but thought it cant hurt.

I'm going to paint the center disk and leave the rim bare metal.

Flywheel1.jpg

Flywheel2.jpg

Flywheel3.jpg

Flywheel and whistle with bottle cap for scale.

Flywheel and whistle.jpg

and got to work on the supports. Started with some hotroll steel bar stock, cleaned up the surface and squared the parts.

Milling supports.jpg

A lot more work to go on these, but the basic shape is there now, also a chunk of the bar they came from.

Steel supports.jpg

and that is where I'm at.

Very nice... Hope you're having fun!

Keep posting.

Ray

Back