Piston QCTP problems?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am working in a Chinese piston type qctp and I can't figure out how to get it apart. Anybody have an exploded diagram or instructions on disassembly for one?
TIA
Randy

Randy,
the first thing to do is to remove the cap screw in the middle of each piston and replace it with a longer one. Use the longer screws to pull the pistons outwards by hand against light spring pressure. When both pistons are fully retracted like this the barrel can be withdrawn upwards.
That allows you to see and understand how simple the mechanism is. Take care to replace everything back in its original position.
I am going on memory. It should be a straightforward procedure but if you hit a snag let us know.
Once you are done, if the timing of the handle is off, it is easy to correct. Good luck.

Last edited:
Tozguy -
That's indeed a bit simpler than the method I suggested. But I recall trying it once, and the screws (and round backing posts) simply spun as soon as the screw was loosened from the square piston face. Bummer. That's when I figgered out the vise grip technique. Yours is definitely worth trying initially!

Randy, please let us know how it goes. I would hope that you can get the piston screws out OK and get the whole QCTP apart for inspection and cleaning.

Back