• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Planer Blade Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mike. I thought about bellows, they'd be a positive way to keep the dust out but any I've run across like the ones you suggested are too stiff , you'd loose the feel and the compressed length is to great. I would have needed to add a few inches to the rods just for the bellows at each end. The nice soft rubber ones on my surface grinder cross feed screw were shot, crumbled with age. I replaced them with a bicycle inner tube over a hand wound spring. Effective but they look like crap, good thing the screw is under the table where you can't see it.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Great build, thanks for showing it.

I see the main shaft is height adjustable at either end. How do you align it? A height gauge?

Thanks,
-brino

Thanks brino,
The height adjustment is to keep the blade angle right as the wheel wears. Setting it would be another great use for a planer gauge. I made a simple block to hold a diamond point to the blade clamp for dressing the wheel. If I get the heights close dressing the wheel should correct any error. I think.

Greg

A quick follow up.
The mechanism works great, produces a nice finish and perfectly straight edge. BUT that POS Chinese grinder is worse than I'd imagined. Absolutely no power, all but the lightest cuts will stall the motor so it takes forever to grind the blade, and by then the motor is really hot.
You get what you pay for.

Greg

KIMG0164.JPG
Congrats on winning POTM!

Last edited by a moderator:
What wheel are you using on that grinder Greg? That may play a part in why it is overloading the motor. You might do better with a little coarser open grit, although you would not get quite the razor edge you see with a very fine wheel.

Its a 60 grit aluminum oxide wheel Tony. I wondered if a 46 grit might help. It should at least remove material faster. I hone the edge with a water stone anyway, thats one of the reasons I went with this layout to get a hollow grind. A lot easier to hone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back