• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Planer Blade Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent work Greg. Always enjoy your postings with photos.

Hi Greg,
I was happy, but not surprised to see your blade grinder in the headlines. It is a beauty. Gongratulations on winning!
Michael

Beautiful job, I need one like that to sharpen wood chipper blades. My neighbor owns a rental business and rents them 6" + 12" chippers. so ill have a bit of steady income from him plus others near me once the word gets out. most all of my customers are word of mouth , I get better clients that way . Hope it's ok to semi copy it a bit. I like your roller depth adjuster. I had planned on using my surface grinder but this will do it better. Thanks

Thanks, feel free to copy. My planer is 15 inch and my surface grinder is only 12 so I had to build this. If the surface grinder was big enough I'd probably have just made a jig for it.
The depth adjustment works quite well. I used a 1/4 -20 thread, with the ratio of the arms it gives about .025 thou per revolution on the adjuster. The big wheel rolls quite smooth, was going to use just a bearing but needed the extra dia to get parts to clear, glad I did it.

Greg

I think a 46 grit wheel will make all the difference, Greg. I'd definitely try that before replacing the entire grinder.

POM. Well diserved credit. Keep those projects coming.

Canuck75

Nicely done! I've tried sharpening my 15" blades on my 13" surface grinder without much success. I think your project would serve me better. Might be my next one. Thanks for the ideas.

A quick follow up.
The mechanism works great, produces a nice finish and perfectly straight edge. BUT that POS Chinese grinder is worse than I'd imagined. Absolutely no power, all but the lightest cuts will stall the motor so it takes forever to grind the blade, and by then the motor is really hot.
You get what you pay for.

Greg
Have you thought about putting a flywheel on the other arbor?

I may just give that a try Eugene. Hope it has enough power to spin up the flywheel.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back