Planer gage

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
How do I use a Lufkin planar gage to set for height?

You can use a micrometer, a surface plate with an indicator, a qualified gauge, etc. Any number of ways.

You could also compose your title better. For instance,,"How can I set a planer gage?"

Or,,"How can I use a planer gage?"

Gene

Are you actually using it on a Planer, or a grinder, or ... More info to help you.

Bernie

How can I set a planer gage?

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a USED lufkin planer gage, bought i do not know how to use it.
What are the 2 black knobs, i turn them, but nothing happens.

Jon

Re: How can I set a planer gage?

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a USED lufkin planer gage, bought i do not know how to use it.
What are the 2 black knobs, i turn them, but nothing happens.

Jon

Since it has 2 knobs, you probably have a Lufkin 901 A, a very nice planer gage. With the planer sitting on the long edge, the vertical knob is for fine adjustment, the knob on the angle is the locking knob. Here are the instructions that came with mine.

P6155474Large_zps7dc510dd.jpg

And the beloved gage.

P6155480Large_zpsdc7ca246.jpg

When Lufkin was bought out by Pratt and Whitney, they continued the 901 A, but the sliding surfaces are a little different.

PB170890Large.jpg

Reactions: ome
Nothing much finer, than holding a brand new planer gauge in your hands.....

Reactions: ome
Re: How can I set a planer gage?

Since it has 2 knobs, you probably have a Lufkin 901 A, a very nice planer gage. With the planer sitting on the long edge, the vertical knob is for fine adjustment, the knob on the angle is the locking knob. Here are the instructions that came with mine.

P6155474Large_zps7dc510dd.jpg

And the beloved gage.

P6155480Large_zpsdc7ca246.jpg

When Lufkin was bought out by Pratt and Whitney, they continued the 901 A, but the sliding surfaces are a little different.

PB170890Large.jpg
Thank you very much, if i knew how to upload a photo i would.. There is a small metal piece connecting the two knobs, one knob is on an angle and the other knob is vertical, with the planer gage positioned as in your photo You are correct, it is a fully equipped Lufkin 901A planer gage. It needs some tlc because it was very hard to initially slide the gage along the way. Is the straight piece a scriber?

Thank You ,

Jon

I have retouched a few older gages using 3,000-5,000 grit wet dry, on a good surface plate.

Back