Planer gage

Re: How can I set a planer gage?

Thank you very much, if i knew how to upload a photo i would.. There is a small metal piece connecting the two knobs, one knob is on an angle and the other knob is vertical, with the planer gage positioned as in your photo You are correct, it is a fully equipped Lufkin 901A planer gage. It needs some tlc because it was very hard to initially slide the gage along the way. Is the straight piece a scriber?

Thank You ,

Jon

On my gage, if you have the fine adjust backed out too far, the locking knob stud (the upper pivot with the small flat bar attaching to the other knob) will hit the top of the inside and not be able to lock. The fine adjustment rod has about 0.30" of travel, but only the last 0.15" is really usable.

The straight piece is a scriber.

I also have a couple of attachments that allow me to use a dial test indicator with the gage. The upper one is a modified Federal, and the lower is an unmodified Starrett.

P6172780Large_zpsa059ce4f.jpg

Reactions: ome
Re: How can I set a planer gage?

On my gage, if you have the fine adjust backed out too far, the locking knob stud (the upper pivot with the small flat bar attaching to the other knob) will hit the top of the inside and not be able to lock. The fine adjustment rod has about 0.30" of travel, but only the last 0.15" is really usable.

The straight piece is a scriber.

I also have a couple of attachments that allow me to use a dial test indicator with the gage. The upper one is a modified Federal, and the lower is an unmodified Starrett.

looking at the gage closely, i noticed that when i opened the fine adjustment knob, a small spring became unseated in its counterrbore, i must be able to get it seated again, so that the lock will work.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Planer gage ... Take my B&S 625!

I did like my Brown & Sharpe 625 planer gage until I saw this thread! Anyone have a Lufkin available and willing to take my 625 in trade?
If not, I guess I'll use it to set the tool height on my lathe...
Maurice

Do a search for (Planer Pal) ... Much easier to use. It has magnets in it to hold the blades.

Great for measuring gaps, its like a big adjustable parallel, but it can hold scribers indicators, transfer dimensions, surface plate work, set milling cutter heights, check downfeeds on quills,, ect. Even the Asian ones are good

Back