[4]

Planning PM-30MV Conversion

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Landmark

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I just received a new PM-30MV mill for a CNC conversion. There are a few things I haven't seen talked about very much in the forums.

1) How do you disable the quill? Do you remove the course and fine gears and all the other quill components? How do you lock the quill from moving?

2) Why don't CNC controllers use the DRO installed on mills?

3) Does it matter which side of the X-axis the stepper is installed on? It seems that most people mount it on the left side.

Thanks for any insight into these burning questions.

Mark

Last edited:

JohnnyMill

Registered
1. My Sieg X3 has a quill lock. I just tightened that. Occasionally I still use the quill to manually drill a hole so I would try to keep the quill functioning and find a way to lock it in t he up position.
2. The DRO is not really needed but it is convenient when tuning the CNC and checking actual movement compared to commanded movement. The DRO is also nice when doing manually milling via the pendant. My DRO is right where I can easily see it. In some cases you can use the output of the scales as feedback to the CNC controller for a closed-loop system.
3. Doesn't matter. Which ever side is mechanically convenient. Or, if you buy a conversion kit the kit will make the decision for you.

Hope this helps
John

Landmark

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
1. My Sieg X3 has a quill lock. I just tightened that. Occasionally I still use the quill to manually drill a hole so I would try to keep the quill functioning and find a way to lock it in t he up position.
2. The DRO is not really needed but it is convenient when tuning the CNC and checking actual movement compared to commanded movement. The DRO is also nice when doing manually milling via the pendant. My DRO is right where I can easily see it. In some cases you can use the output of the scales as feedback to the CNC controller for a closed-loop system.
3. Doesn't matter. Which ever side is mechanically convenient. Or, if you buy a conversion kit the kit will make the decision for you.

Hope this helps
John
Thanks for the information.

My mill is still sitting idle. I haven't even cleaned off the cosmoline grease from shipping. I purchased the Centroid Acorn controller but still haven't figured out what drives / motors to use.

[6]
[5] [7]