Plans for a sheet metal bender?

These are extremely versatile, and I intend to build one myself at some point.

Okay I'll bite...........................
What possible improvement to a purely mechanical bender do electro-magnets provide?
After reading thru several web pages I see NO benefit to magnets in a bender.
Did I miss something?

Thanks,
-brino

Okay I'll bite...........................
What possible improvement to a purely mechanical bender do electro-magnets provide?
After reading thru several web pages I see NO benefit to magnets in a bender.
Did I miss something?

Thanks,
-brino

Put simply - it allows you to bend shapes that just aren't possible with a traditional mechanical brake.

Check out this video, if you can (I know the quality is very 1980's, but it's the best description of its capabilities I could find. It gets particularly interesting at 6:30):

Granted, it's probably overkill for the average home workshop - but I suspect that very few of us here have what could be called an 'average' home workshop anyway.

Cheers,...Jon.

P.S. I have absolutely no affiliation with the company, I just think it's a really cool product. I'm not even recommending that anyone buys one, because the inventor, Allan Bottomley, gave all of the plans to the public once the patent ran out, so you can (relatively) easily build one for yourself.

tjb,
That is a great diy project for a very nice bender.
I think I have found my project of choice.
Thank you all!

Reactions: tjb
You're welcome. Please keep us all posted on your progress.

Regards,
Terry

Browsing through my files I found this.

Attachments

• jrw_sheet_metal_brake.pdf
    550.8 KB · Views: 37
Choices!
Thanks Tom.
I am on my way. I went to the metal yard yesterday. In the scrap pile I found the angle iron for the job.
I have all the equipment to make the project (s).
Looking forward to getting started.
I am mounting a Z axis DRO on the Bridgeport on Saturday. After that, if my bride allows, I'll start laying out the sheet metal brake.
Can't wait!

Getting started with the build. I decided on a 31” over all width.
That leaves a bit less than 23” to tackle my sheet metal projects.
I was very careful but I have a bit of clearing to take care of. The plates are tight but should produce a good quality bend.
More to come.
I cleared a small groove in the web?, of the pivot point of the non moveable piece of angle iron. It now has full range with close tolerance and even side to side.
This part was a bit tricky.
Now, on to the top wedge, springs, guides, fingers?
I’ll get it.

50BB8294-CB0B-48D8-8D1B-D030A9B2AA8B.jpeg

B2206819-46A6-4BC8-85B4-B6CD875400AC.jpeg

B7FEE167-A96B-497B-839E-99CF8C0B17B3.jpeg

FB00CAD5-0DD9-4CB4-A91A-C37CC52662ED.jpeg

64EBF6EE-B276-4F70-8184-F332021B4359.jpeg

80B83E65-273B-4463-866F-67EB517A31C6.jpeg

C40C8480-4D4E-4FAC-B129-E37B87B62191.jpeg

B216F357-0A00-45A9-B6E1-3AAACBA124AE.jpeg

B5D6C1A1-A2A1-41EF-82CC-492D3259DF26.jpeg

Last edited:
I would be interested in making one also, but I need to find a adjustable finger one so you can slide the fingers over together to be able to bend a small side up to the other two sides without the brake being in the way of the other two sides. Hard to find plans for that I guess.

Back