Plans for my 2 Gorton mills.

Senna

Deceased
Rest In Peace
I'll be restoring both my 9J and my 8-1/2D Gorton mills in the near future. I plan on going different directions with each mill.
I'm going period correct with the 9J (1954) and am outfitting it as a jig borer which was a Gorton factory option.

I'm going for a more modern restoration of the 8.5D (1953) with a DRO and a VFD.

My Gorton 9J mill has the long handfeed only table and power downfeed. This combination is what was recommended by Gorton when using these great mills as jig borers.
Gorton offered a B&S end measuring rod system which allows location to be accurate within .0001-2 for jig boring. This was the same equipment supplied to P&W for their excellent jig borers.
This system is nearly impossible to find and using it is a bit fiddly.
Later on, but still during the production run of the 9J, Gorton offered a Vernac optical measuring system that was easier to use than the end measuring system but offered the same accuracy.
page01_small.jpgpage06_small.jpgpage02_small.jpgpage03_small.jpgpage04_small.jpgpage05_small.jpg
I've managed to purchase several Vernac reader heads and more importantly, several of the scales used with this system. The 24" sclaes are really hard to find but I now have three of them as well as two 12" and several 8" scales.
I also scored two sets of the cast iron scale mounting brackets which will make adapting this system to my mill much easier.
I do have to design and build the reader head mounting brackets and the heads are required to have an inch of travel so you can line up on a whole number. They also need a means to fine adjust the distance between the reader lens and the scales for proper calibration.
The mounting brackets are going to be challenging but should be interesting.
I'll need to scan a paint chip to come up with the correct color for this mill as I wish this mill to be as period correct as possible when done.
Period correct restoration, whether on a car or a mill, is always a bit more difficult than the alternative but is usually very rewarding when you see the finished product.

My 8.5D (1953) has the powerfeed table and power downfeed. I'm thinking modern with this mill.
I'll run either the factory 2 speed spindle motor with a VFD or possibly adapt a Mitsubishi 1.5hp (up to 5hp for limited duration) CNC AC spindle motor I have lying around. I'd run that with a Mitsubishi spindle drive if I can find one reasonably or just go with a VFD on it and lose all of the encoder functionality.
I'll also outfit this mill with a modern DRO. I'd like to find a used Acu-Rite, Anilam, Heidenhain, Sony, Newall, or Mitutoyo DRO for this project but am not averse to going with a new Chinese made unit if forced to.
There may eventually be some ballscrews added and the whole thing converted to CNC but that's well in the future.

I'll be tackling the mills themselves when this miserable Winter is over but am presently working on the Vernac stuff in my basement.
I'm looking forward to this.

page06_small.jpg page01_small.jpg page02_small.jpg page03_small.jpg page04_small.jpg page05_small.jpg

I'm looking forward to watching the restorations as they progress.

Marcel

Ken,

Can't wait to see the progress. Pictures, plenty-0-pictures please!

Hay ken haven't talked since your fire. That was bad news. How's your new building coming along.
Here in Ohio today is the first day above frezing in a month or more. I bought dro's from davidth but haven't even opened the package. Been here at least a month.looking forward to your restoration's.

Can't thank u enough for the help on buying my 9 j I'm happy with it for what I do??

Thanks. Scruffy

Still not smart enough to post pics. I need help!!!

Hay ken haven't talked since your fire. That was bad news. How's your new building coming along.
Here in Ohio today is the first day above frezing in a month or more. I bought dro's from davidth but haven't even opened the package. Been here at least a month.looking forward to your restoration's.

Can't thank u enough for the help on buying my 9 j I'm happy with it for what I do??

Thanks. Scruffy

Still not smart enough to post pics. I need help!!!

Thanks Scruffy.

This Winter has been brutal here and I'll be starting on my new building in the Spring when it warms up a bit.

I'm excited to get going on the restorations of these mills and also on my B&S 13 grinder.

It'll be a big task getting these machines back to the way I want them but I think they'll all be really sweet when I'm done.

Scruffy, here's what I wrote about posting pictures in another thread. It works for me.

Click on the little paperclip thingy on the top row above and a new window will appear. At the top right of that window will be a button labeled "Add Files". Click on that and select the file/picture you wish to add and hit "Open File".
The picture will now appear in the window which popped up when you clicked the paperclip thingy.
Select the picture and click on "Add Inline" and the picture will appear in your post.

Back