Plasma Cutter help

After lots of soul searching and not a inconsiderable amount of waffling, I just placed and order for a Hypertherm Powermax45 XP. $2500 with extra consumables and a circle guide. Thanks for all the feedback and discussion on options.

My Powermax45 XP just arrived after a month and half on back-order. Looking forward to getting it unpacked and working this week.

I was using my Powermax 45Xp over the weekend to cut a piece of 1/2" aluminum. I think this is the first time for aluminum.
It didn't go well. I need to figure out what I did wrong. Too fast? too slow? Not sure. It made a mess.
Can you cut aluminum with a plasma torch?
What's the trick?

I imagine it’s like welding, where aluminum requires a lot more power due to the thermal conductivity. So my guess is that’s a big ask for that machine. Do they specify aluminum cutting thickness separately?

I imagine it’s like welding, where aluminum requires a lot more power due to the thermal conductivity. So my guess is that’s a big ask for that machine. Do they specify aluminum cutting thickness separately?
Good question.
I'll look into it.
I did cut some 1/8" aluminum sheeting with the Powermax. It came out very nice.
I went too fast-obviously.

Last edited:
It does take a good amount of power, but it can be done, as you have clearly shown in that linked video. It is also important to keep the torch as vertical as possible (assuming the part is laying flat) to minimize the "added" thickness that results from a tilted torch. The more it is tilted, the thicker the cut needs to be made due to the longer slanted path even though the material thickness hasn't changed, it still presents an even larger challenge to the machine. The "added thickness" is a function of the tilt angle (we'll call it "α"), and is given by the expression: %_increase = 1/cos(α). Just a slight tilt of the plasma torch of 15°, and the apparent thickness is now +4% greater. Keep them plasma torches normal (perpendicular) to the cut surface! :)

Guys dont make me wrong but do you know what is main thing about plasma ? Just split on half ? For me get nice side cut...yes you can do 19mm but what is the result ? Something what you can not use or spend to much time with cleaning and loks like melted Choco bar .. :) . Alu max amps and fast do not heat to much , do not change to much structure because one side will be more hard then other , cant use for CNC work and so on . Powermax 45 can do max 10 mm with no bad side cut result but clear up to 6mm :). And that is depsense of type of Alu , for me if side is not cleare then that is not cutting that is melting, then you can use Acet+Oxy instead palsma .:D . So waht realistickly Power45 can do ?

THIS is maximum ... 1/4 - 6mm rest is just problem ,please keep in mind that i have power 45 and 105.

We tlaking here about cutting not melting i guess

I will post compare of my plasma when CNC is done ... still busy with project

I’d say it’s good to buy from a company that will respond to repair needs with a process that minimizes your cost. Not sure what that means really but I’d favor a company like Primeweld with a good reputation in that regard. I bought a ViperCut 30 a number of years ago with that intent. I haven’t used it a lot but it’s been fine so far.

Guys dont make me wrong but do you know what is main thing about plasma ? Just split on half ? For me get nice side cut...yes you can do 19mm but what is the result ? Something what you can not use or spend to much time with cleaning and loks like melted Choco bar .. :) . Alu max amps and fast do not heat to much , do not change to much structure because one side will be more hard then other , cant use for CNC work and so on . Powermax 45 can do max 10 mm with no bad side cut result but clear up to 6mm :). And that is depsense of type of Alu , for me if side is not cleare then that is not cutting that is melting, then you can use Acet+Oxy instead palsma .:D . So waht realistickly Power45 can do ?

THIS is maximum ... 1/4 - 6mm rest is just problem ,please keep in mind that i have power 45 and 105.

We tlaking here about cutting not melting i guess

I will post compare of my plasma when CNC is done ... still busy with project

The Hypertherm Powermax 45XP will cut Alu well beyond 1/4” thick. If you have the unit, you should also have the user manual, with a chapter titled Cut Charts (Ch 9 for my 45XP). I always use those charts and they never failed me. According to that chart, one can go up to 3/4” although I personally only went up as thick ½”.

While I also have the hand torch, I mostly use it on a CNC table with THC, so height and consistent speed are not a problem. I don't have enough experience and skill to move it freehand at a consistent speed.

My main problem with plasma is that with thick material there is a pronounced bevel even if the torch is trammed properly; this is inherent in the plasma technology. Although weld ready, the edge is not always suitable for precision fitting because of this. With steel you also get nitridation (IIRC the name) which is a hardening of the edge from the plasma. This is difficult to grind away, and takes time.

That said, I am very happy with Hypertherm. Remember you are not only buying the generator (the “box”). You are buying an entire ecosystem of tips, consumables, torches, parts availability at your local Praxair or other LWS, great user manual and instructional videos, and tech support a phone call away. As somebody mentioned already, the cheap units use cheap components and their consumables are of variable (=poor) fit and finish and use old tip/torch technology. Quality has a quality of its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Back