Plasma Table Drawer

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Many of you would agree, in a small shop we need to use our space as efficiently as possible.
The plan is to mount the plasma table under the welding/work table so I can pull it out when needed and close the drawer when not in use.
I need your advice. I may need another hand or two.
Have you ever been in the thick of it and you needed another hand or two? Of course you have.
The pics show my most immediate cunundrum.
I assembled the plasma table this morning. Certifflat products are great. It took about half an hour to complete the kit.
I need to support the table in it’s proper position while I mark the drawer slides for drilling.
My plan as I write this, is to build a shelf out of wood that holds the table in the correct position. In other words, the table will be sitting in it’s final position All I need to do is slide the frames over and mark the supports accordingly for welding and drilling.
What would you do at this point?
Thank you!F5E86D7F-6AB0-4DE6-A739-2EF2AC151953.jpegC0757238-360D-48C7-9E6F-92BC7CF4AE9B.jpegCE083353-A332-4CDF-B69D-F75A23E4C54E.jpeg1547ACCD-AD7B-44F7-929A-AD1972F5243D.jpeg667C9938-4468-4C20-BA30-9BB2AC95DF98.jpeg7DBAF5A5-1EB5-4942-B10A-540D7ABBCC59.jpeg

Is the intention to put the slides roughly where the red line is?
cd6c93752b56df02c47623d28aad1e0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, how did you do that?
yes

I just edited the picture and drew a line on it.
My suggestion would be to block the table up the the appropriate height, clamp the slides to the plasma table and mark the top and bottom of the slides on the table legs and the plasma table
Then you can figure out how to mount the slides.

David,
I’m thinking you are close. That’s about what I came up with overnight.
Maybe I should have done this before I welded the table together. In hindsight, that would have made this easier.
I’ll get some time today, maybe.

David,
I’m thinking you are close. That’s about what I came up with overnight.
Maybe I should have done this before I welded the table together. In hindsight, that would have made this easier.
I’ll get some time today, maybe.

It’s been my experience that drawer slides are never installed before the frame of the cabinet is at final dimensions and assembled because there are too many variables which can affect the placement of the slides.

I never build drawers until I have the slides in my possession because I use the slides as part of the drawer dimensions.

I appreciate you pointing out the variables.
With the slides mounted and the brackets vertical I have to hit a dimension I wouldn’t want to attempt any other way.
This project is stimulating the gray matter, it’s a worthwhile endeavor.

I think the idea is great having the table slide in when not in use I’m just having a hard time seeing those slides support that table at full extension and then putting material on it to work on? Are you using 2 per side?

Plasma table drawer is a great idea.

I think the idea is great having the table slide in when not in use I’m just having a hard time seeing those slides support that table at full extension and then putting material on it to work on? Are you using 2 per side?
The slides have a 500lb capacity. I will reinforce the mounting system once I have everything lined up. You know, third leg under both horizontal table braces, a piece of angle iron will support the rear on top from table side to side. That’s the beauty of working with metal, cut and weld.
I plan on mounting the slides to the table, placing the table back on the stand to make the final adjustments.
The table only comes out 24”499E7143-58AF-4727-A9E8-337A5DFE4B2D.jpegC21DEB9F-7DE8-4EB3-996D-B151028A36A2.jpeg

Back