Plasma Table Drawer

Great idea and yours looks great. I've been plasma cutting for quite a few years now with CNC tables and it's prob a bit late now, but if there is any way you can incorporate a simple water tray into it that can be easily filled and drained when not in use, you'd sure be glad you did. The difference in smoke, sparks and dust is huge especially in such an enclosed indoor location. If nothing else make sure you use PPE and open the doors and have a big fan running to exhaust the area otherwise the rest of your shop will suffer from the plasma dust everywhere.

Last edited:
Coherent,
I plan on protecting the slides with shielding, I plan on having either a pan drop to a metal container or a water pan.
In my experience, the water can spray upwards with the blast of air coming down from the torch. That is unpleasant. I have full access under the table to the extent of that lower table support, maybe 8"..
I am leaning toward a slag drop chute as the water tray would be difficult to get water tight.
Certiflat sells a sheet metal kit that goes with this table. I don't have any sheet metal equipment, but I have full access if I can sweet talk one of my hobby group members to give up part of his weekend to help me. :)

I’m looking forward to seeing the final result!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second Coherent's suggestion on using a water table. I can cut all day on the plasma table with very little dust in the air. One hand cut on the bench and the shop is full of smoke.

Greg

I think the blast from the cut has to hit the water to catch the dust.

Greg

I'll second Coherent's suggestion on using a water table. I can cut all day on the plasma table with very little dust in the air. One hand cut on the bench and the shop is full of smoke.

Greg
I rigged up a drip pan with water in it, put some 4x4's in a square and put some angle iron across the 4x4's to contain the sparks.
What a mess.
My original plan (in my head) was to build a containment vessel to hold the water, the more I thought about it, the more I am leaning toward the chute.
You guys are making me rethink my plan.
I could always put a petcock in the base to drain off the water.
Maybe add wing nuts to remove and install the vessel for cleaning.
I don't know.
I'm not in a hurry, this could turn out to be a real nice option in a small shop.

3rd on a water pan, and you could also add a fold down or insert-able leg with a screw adjustable foot to support the forward most part of the drawer to take the weight of the water pan, and take the load off the slides. Mike

3rd on a water pan, and you could also add a fold down or insert-able leg with a screw adjustable foot to support the forward most part of the drawer to take the weight of the water pan, and take the load off the slides. Mike
I'm warming to the idea,
The add-a-leg, is interesting

Back