Plastic Gibs on 12" Atlas or Craftsman Commercial Lathes

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just received five more sets of all of the steel gibs. Steve was waiting on these for a 6". If anyone else needs any to replace the plastic ones or for any other reason, reply to msg in Machine Parts for Sale, not here.

As most of you know, at some point fairly late in the life of the 12" Commercal production, Clausing changed the material (originally 1018 or thereabouts steel) that the cross slide and compound slide gibs were made of to plastic. Current best guess is that this happened around 1974/75. This was during the production life of the final version of the 12: and probably around the time that the Atlas 3950 Mk2 6" was replaced by the 10100, and Sears quit selling the 101.21200 (their version of the 3950). I have listed below for both Atlas and Craftsman the highest reported serial numbers that still had steel gibs and the lowest serial numbers reported as originally having plastic. Note that there is currently a gap of about 4000 machines between the highest numbered machine known to have had steel gibs and the lowest number known to have plastic. If anyone has either an Atlas or a Craftsman 12" with serial number falling between either of those pairs listed, please report at least model number and serial number as well as whether the two gibs are steel or plastic. If your report changes any of the four numbers, I'll update them here.

Current update date 2018/11/25

Atlas highest steel 100274
Atlas lowest plastic 104418

Craftsman highest steel 105402
Craftsman lowest plastic 107875

A rough guess is that Sears sold about 11,000 of the final version 12" while Atlas sold around 7,000. So I'll add the highest known serial numbers of the two model groups.

Atlas 106781 (my 3996)
Craftsman 109258

If anyone has a higher number in either group, please report that, too.

I'll add that the 10"/12" and 6" milling attachments had their gibs changed from steel to plastic at about the same time. The steel cross slide gibs also fit the milling attachments.

Last edited:
My "Craftsman" labeled 12" lathe has a serial number of 105402 and has steel gibs.

OK. What is it's model number?

My Craftsman 101.28990 S/N 107875 has plastic gibs. Sure would like to get ahold of some steel ones as the plastic ones are pretty cracked.

GunPilot,

I have them. Send me a PM.

And that is a new "Earliest or Lowest Plastic" serial number for Craftsman. If you happen to have any info on when the lathe was originally sold new, please report it.

Last edited:
GunPilot,

I have them. Send me a PM.

And that is a new "Earliest or Lowest Plastic" serial number for Craftsman. If you happen to have any info on when the lathe was originally sold new, please report it.

I asked about the history of the lathe when I bought it but the man selling didn't know. It doesn't have a lot of wear on it, and hasn't been abused. I doubt the gibs have been replaced. I'm guessing it's a mid to late 70's lathe according to the serial number. It had no documentation with it.

Sending PP today for the gibs - thank you!

George

George,

OK. Received your PP and a pair of gibs is out front waiting for the carrier. I sent you the tracking #.

Thanks.

Back