Plastic headlights/bugoff

dlane

Active User
Registered
If you're plastic headlights are oxidation cloudy, get it off with deet a rag in 2min just like new !. Any bugrepelant with deet
works
I haven't tried it but saw the results

Last edited:
Deet is pretty good at melting plastic things. The 100% jungle juice uncle sam used to issue was pretty nasty stuff, but you were glad to have it. Mike

That old stuff would melt half the stuff in he bag with it, so not surprised the weaker stuff will work on headlights. Could you imagine getting the old stuff on them, it might go through the lens.

All I know is the bug repellent with deet works better than those buffers they sell for cleaning the oxidation
off clear plastic headlight lenses.
I've never heard of straight deet where would someone get that. Is it some kind of solvent ?

Last edited:
no that is what the Military use to give you for bug repellant. It repelled the bugs but I think they found it was not that good for you to use it that way. They later started giving something like off, that did not do as good a job to my notion. Do not know if you could still find the stuff any more.

Right up there with agent Orange. My brother in law was a seebee in nam two full tours . Those drugs and sprays haunted him till he died , all kinds of rashes and finally heart and lung .

To each his own but I won't use deet and no way put it on expensive headlight lenses. That stuff eats through plastic and leaves it forever soft. The cheapo lense cleaner pads on a drill do a wonderful job for me and once I get them clear it's super easy to keep them clear with Meguires Mirror Glaze.

Any kind of buffing compound works good. Nufinish works good. Even toothpaste works good it’s abrasive. Your gonna wanna wax them afterward with anything to put a protective layer back on. I do this yearly and my lenses on my 02 look new. I can’t beleive how some people see with the lenses near whiteo_O

Back