Plastic is expensive!

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was online looking for some ABS blocks to make some holders for the old style articulated desk lamps.
Checked Plastiblocks, a 2"x6"x6" block of ABS is $40 CDN.
Checked a Canadian supplier and 12" of 2.5" Delrin rod is $26.
My local plastic store only sells plastic in sheet form unless I want acrylic or UHMW.
I had no idea plastic was more expensive than metal.

I try not to use plastic because of the 19% interest if I carry a balance past the end of the month.

All of the plastics I have on hand are from drops, bought at a scrap rate from a metal supplier. eBay usually has a lot of plastics and some good deals to be had. Plastic can be pretty fun to machine. I hope you find a deal on your material.

Yes it is! That's why I buy acetal or delrin & it machines nicely. But it can't always be easily glued without speciality adhesives & is why I look for ABS, nylon, acrylic, etc sometimes.

My local plastic store only sells plastic in sheet form unless I want acrylic or UHMW.
Have you checked the scrap bucket at Industrial? I could have sworn there were some pretty chunky black bits in there on Friday that looked like ABS. I didn’t pick them up.
I had an interesting discussion there a couple weeks ago trying to source some round material. After several minutes of disbelief, another sales representative jumped into the conversation and asked me if I might be looking for “rod”, to which I said yes, round rod is what I am looking for. Well, with the clarification that I indeed want “ROD”, a whole page opened up in their inventory list with sizes up to 6” diameter.
Moral here, be very careful how you word your request with a couple of the folks out there. ;)

-frank

All of the plastic I've gotten was off eBay. I guess i got the "plastic shock" back in the 90's when I wanted to make my own Anvil Case for sound equipment. I thought it was cheap too until I priced a sheet, ouch! So getting small pieces for $20 w/shipping seems like a deal. Yeah, it is more expensive that metal. Go figgur.

Have you checked the scrap bucket at Industrial? I could have sworn there were some pretty chunky black bits in there on Friday that looked like ABS. I didn’t pick them up.
I had an interesting discussion there a couple weeks ago trying to source some round material. After several minutes of disbelief, another sales representative jumped into the conversation and asked me if I might be looking for “rod”, to which I said yes, round rod is what I am looking for. Well, with the clarification that I indeed want “ROD”, a whole page opened up in their inventory list with sizes up to 6” diameter.
Moral here, be very careful how you word your request with a couple of the folks out there. ;)

-frank
Ohhh good tip for the terminology!
I looked in their bin and it was filled with maple slabs oddly enough.

If you think ABS is expensive, look at PEEK or Torlon. From McMaster Carr, a 1`"round 1 ft. bar of ABS is $7.34. The same in PEEK is $61.46 and in Torlon is $147.

I've used leftover 12+ inch PVC sewer/water pipe the city buries in the ground. You can mill some decent size pieces depending on wall thickness. I have even laminated pieces together with PVC glue.

Hardwood is a good option depending on the application

Back