• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Playtime With 304 Stainless

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I had an itch to scratch. a simple task but one that i wanted to do for awhile.
i wanted to make an extended lathe chuck wrench for my Hercus ARH Lathe.
the 3 jaw chuck is beautiful, but if the jaws are extended out,
you can bust a knuckle because of a short chuck wrench.
don't ask how i know this.....:bang head:

i have lots of scrap 16mm 304 stainless steel axles, that i cut down and repurpose for projects like this

here is the perptrator,
a beautifully seductive 1976 Hercus ARH, named Shiela
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/hercus-9-workshop-lathe-model-arh-serial-15548v.24143/
Hercus ARH 2.jpg

i already have a fully functioning chuck wrench. but the overall length is a little bit short.

i parted an eyeballed length of 6" of 304 stainless steel from a donor shaft, and went to work...

FullSizeRender_1.jpg
the original wrench had a slightly smaller diameter for the main shaft, .594" mine was 16mm.
i turned the stub and stepped the end down to down to .390" .
I chucked the rod into a 5/8 5C collet (boy that was a tight fit) and inserted the collet into a square collet block for a trip to the mill.
i milled the square to a very nice- near push, fit.
.313" final square measurement

here is a shot before the deburring

FullSizeRender_1_2.jpg

i crossdrilled and then reamed the mainshaft to 5/16" for a 8mm (.3149") 304 Stainless rod, (also reclaimed from machine axles)
i turned just under 1/2 of the crosspin's length to .311"
and used a few blows from a hammer to set the crosspin in place with a nice press fit
IMG_2778.JPG

and the finished product!!!

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

it was a simple project, but still gratifying- no more knuckles busted by jaws sticking up.

as always thanks for reading!

Last edited:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to make a key like that for my cam locks to clear the headstock. Shamefully I took the lazy way out & just use a square socket on a ratchet or sliding T handle. :) (damn these new smileys are ugly, haha)

Great job Mike!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
I wanted to make a key like that for my cam locks to clear the headstock. Shamefully I took the lazy way out & just use a square socket on a ratchet or sliding T handle. :) (damn these new smileys are ugly, haha)
Great job Mike!
Thank you very much DZ!! :grin: ( i try to use the old emoji :congratulate:)

now you tell me... i could have just used some 5/16 keystock and welded it to some donor shaft/ pipe and been done...o_O:confused:
:grin big:
but seriously, it was fun and easy to make.
it also gave me the excuse to play with my machines and tools :cool:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thank you very much DZ!! :grin: ( i try to use the old emoji :congratulate:)

now you tell me... i could have just used some 5/16 keystock and welded it to some donor shaft/ pipe and been done...o_O:confused:
:grin big:
but seriously, it was fun and easy to make.
it also gave me the excuse to play with my machines and tools :cool:
Haha! Nah, I like the wrench you made, much better than just welding up some keystock & by far much nicer. Nothing beats the satisfaction of making your own custom tool to suit your needs.

This what I use. The sliding T handle & one of the drain plug sockets I already had. Don't work in automotive anymore so these just sat around anyway. Then I came across the other 2 sockets on ebay. I use the larger square socket & the T handle without the extension for my super spacer on the mill. I need the extra short length for clearance sometimes.

I told myself I'll just use them temporarily until I make a key. Well that was years ago so I doubt it's ever going to happen now. :foot in mouth:

Attachments

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Haha, thanks for the encouragement Mike! I don't know, I like yours, if I were to make one I'd probably make it pretty much the same way. Hmm maybe I throw it up on my little white board (projects to do) & see if it may happen. :eagerness:

[6]
[5] [7]