Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I had an itch to scratch. a simple task but one that i wanted to do for awhile.
i wanted to make an extended lathe chuck wrench for my Hercus ARH Lathe.
the 3 jaw chuck is beautiful, but if the jaws are extended out,
you can bust a knuckle because of a short chuck wrench.
don't ask how i know this.....:bang head:

i have lots of scrap 16mm 304 stainless steel axles, that i cut down and repurpose for projects like this

here is the perptrator,
a beautifully seductive 1976 Hercus ARH, named Shiela
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/hercus-9-workshop-lathe-model-arh-serial-15548v.24143/
Hercus ARH 2.jpg

i already have a fully functioning chuck wrench. but the overall length is a little bit short.

i parted an eyeballed length of 6" of 304 stainless steel from a donor shaft, and went to work...

FullSizeRender_1.jpg
the original wrench had a slightly smaller diameter for the main shaft, .594" mine was 16mm.
i turned the stub and stepped the end down to down to .390" .
I chucked the rod into a 5/8 5C collet (boy that was a tight fit) and inserted the collet into a square collet block for a trip to the mill.
i milled the square to a very nice- near push, fit.
.313" final square measurement

here is a shot before the deburring

FullSizeRender_1_2.jpg

i crossdrilled and then reamed the mainshaft to 5/16" for a 8mm (.3149") 304 Stainless rod, (also reclaimed from machine axles)
i turned just under 1/2 of the crosspin's length to .311"
and used a few blows from a hammer to set the crosspin in place with a nice press fit
IMG_2778.JPG

and the finished product!!!

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

it was a simple project, but still gratifying- no more knuckles busted by jaws sticking up.

as always thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I wanted to make a key like that for my cam locks to clear the headstock. Shamefully I took the lazy way out & just use a square socket on a ratchet or sliding T handle. :) (damn these new smileys are ugly, haha)

Great job Mike!

I wanted to make a key like that for my cam locks to clear the headstock. Shamefully I took the lazy way out & just use a square socket on a ratchet or sliding T handle. :) (damn these new smileys are ugly, haha)
Great job Mike!
Thank you very much DZ!! :grin: ( i try to use the old emoji :congratulate:)

now you tell me... i could have just used some 5/16 keystock and welded it to some donor shaft/ pipe and been done...o_O:confused:
:grin big:
but seriously, it was fun and easy to make.
it also gave me the excuse to play with my machines and tools :cool:

Thank you very much DZ!! :grin: ( i try to use the old emoji :congratulate:)

now you tell me... i could have just used some 5/16 keystock and welded it to some donor shaft/ pipe and been done...o_O:confused:
:grin big:
but seriously, it was fun and easy to make.
it also gave me the excuse to play with my machines and tools :cool:

Haha! Nah, I like the wrench you made, much better than just welding up some keystock & by far much nicer. Nothing beats the satisfaction of making your own custom tool to suit your needs.

This what I use. The sliding T handle & one of the drain plug sockets I already had. Don't work in automotive anymore so these just sat around anyway. Then I came across the other 2 sockets on ebay. I use the larger square socket & the T handle without the extension for my super spacer on the mill. I need the extra short length for clearance sometimes.

I told myself I'll just use them temporarily until I make a key. Well that was years ago so I doubt it's ever going to happen now. :foot in mouth:

Img_2292.JPG

Haha, thanks for the encouragement Mike! I don't know, I like yours, if I were to make one I'd probably make it pretty much the same way. Hmm maybe I throw it up on my little white board (projects to do) & see if it may happen. :eagerness:

Back