Ulma,
Can you speak to the different kinds of Delrin and their features & benefits?
How does it compare to nylon?
Other plastics?

I've not done much plastics.

Thanks,
Daryl
MN

i'm no expert by any means on the subject:
here is a link to different grades and uses of delrin
http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/design/DELDGe.pdf

nylon machines a little easier but doesn't have the toughness of delrin, at least the grades iv'e been exposed to.
nylon tends to be softer and gummier whereas delrin has a definite shear point not seen when machining nylon
sharp to rounded tools work well and you can remove .100" per side per pass easily with the right tooling on light machines

as far as comparing to other plastics, i'd say that delrin is one of the most stable and all around go to materials for making:
gears, spacers, low speed- no heat bushings, thrust washers, low strength nuts/bolts, non marring pin punches and drifts, bearing/seal installers, bench blocks,
and other uses that don't come right to mind

as long as the part stays relatively cool and the loads are moderate- i put delrin to use!:D

Last edited:
This is my go-to place for all things plastic (raw materials, and some fab work):

http://www.boedeker.com/mguide.htm

I know the owner, and have been doing business with them for many years. They are an excellent tech resource as well. Good one to bookmark. Besides, they are in Shiner, Texas.....home of a pretty decent brew.

Spotezl Brewery, Shiner Bock, one of my favorites. Looks like you know a good beer Tony.

Ayup, I do like a Shiner now and then. I tend to favor darker beers when I do have one. Not often, but when I do, it's a dark of some kind.

UD, you’re always on point! I picked up about 10 years ago a truck load of 1 1/2” thick plastic sheets. I was told it was Delrin? The price was so cheap I didn’t care what kind of plastic it was, but if it was all Delrin I hit a gold mine. There are sooooo many different kinds and grades of plastics. It looked like natural colored Delrin, machined like it, but didn’t hold up in use like it. So I did some homework. Found out that when you put a flame up to Delrin chips it will give off a smell similar to formaldehyde. This plastic I have does not do that. But it’s still good stuff and I use it more than steel/metal when making everything from jigs to arbor press pods…Dave

Thank you Dave!
i found out that if you push too hard when turning delrin it will stink something fierce o_O
it's the formaldehyde being released!
you may have some nylon on your hands, it's just as useful IMO
nice score!

Back