Playtime With Polycarbonate

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Hi all,
I had a request to construct some doors for an aging industrial high speed meat slicer, that were obsolete from the manufacturer.
the other route would be to convert the machine to the new style stainless steel door assemblies at a cost that is astounding.
the quote really was ridiculous , but i gave the customer the option of a rock solid replacement door constructed from polycarbonate that was still expensive but less than 1/3 of the factory solution even with my labor factored in.
the customer was elated to say the least and asked the question of durability,
my reply was that they make safety glasses from the very same material, and i reminded him that the door that i proposed was exponentially thicker than said safety glass lenses.
There was no further consultation, just a moment of agreement ....

As you can see the door got clobbered and glue was not a good savior for the old door, but they tried :bang head:
the picture is poor but there are precisely drilled mounting holes as well as a safety sensor mounting point that has a total error of only +/- 3mm.
it sunk in for me,
i was asked to reconstruct, from broken parts, a fairly precise outcome-
sounds like another workday.....:D
rBzzSI4LaqybPA9djXaeOsMQjJJ553uUS9O24npn5mV6sqezpEnC-IwXtRwFI58ardmVWmhHC7Kx1RMYN8M=w640-h270-no.jpg

next you can see the other victim...
it wasn't as beat up, but there were stress cracks surrounding the mounting hardware
UeUYGRT2zPEUTmJ6D36kIJnqQ6Dc9My7mBT3b47jr5JfptGLD3hOJQhrlHuED__pKznHj5VgUUlpWG-kwLI=w640-h324-no.jpg

I used the broken covers as templates, and scribed the outline on the protective skin of the polycarbonate sheet.
(When working with polycarbonate, leave the skin on until you are nearly done- polycarb scratches easily:mad:)
With the basic layout completed,
I used a 140 tooth plywood panel blade, and i cut out the new blank from the full sheet with 7 1/4" skill saw.
I made rapid continuous cuts to minimize friction but maximize accuracy.
the template worked flawlessly, i clamped the templates to both respective doors for the hole layout, drilling & countersinking operations- all performed with a battery powered X4 18v Rigid drill rig :grin:

Here's the completed work:
this would be the left side (operator oriented)
oFifxLkIWrxvUxjdgAouvuFwUbm-2F_J8sWRqFnLteVYica7_nZFUFzldGmRRf_Ingz_2ftgouvDnFRN4ho=w640-h338-no.jpg

and the right side with the operator controls
RpheyXLnX0-uNE-E2O_cg5rasiy5qx_6ZYLk61-MtI3jlkEGJ8D7U7cP3Gmup_tA_S2RCrS_6wn2mp5Ayfk=w640-h404-no.jpg

It's a precision PLC / Inverter controlled meat slicing/portioning machine manufactured in
Oberlahr, Germany.
here's a video clip of it's operation without product and a overview shot( sorry for the crappy video)

as always thanks for reading.
questions and comments , are welcomed :D

rBzzSI4LaqybPA9djXaeOsMQjJJ553uUS9O24npn5mV6sqezpEnC-IwXtRwFI58ardmVWmhHC7Kx1RMYN8M=w640-h270-no.jpg

UeUYGRT2zPEUTmJ6D36kIJnqQ6Dc9My7mBT3b47jr5JfptGLD3hOJQhrlHuED__pKznHj5VgUUlpWG-kwLI=w640-h324-no.jpg

oFifxLkIWrxvUxjdgAouvuFwUbm-2F_J8sWRqFnLteVYica7_nZFUFzldGmRRf_Ingz_2ftgouvDnFRN4ho=w640-h338-no.jpg

RpheyXLnX0-uNE-E2O_cg5rasiy5qx_6ZYLk61-MtI3jlkEGJ8D7U7cP3Gmup_tA_S2RCrS_6wn2mp5Ayfk=w640-h404-no.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,
i even did the cuts freehand on 2 sides, i cheated and used 2 square sides that i was given.
now i have some nice drops too for other good projects:D

Mike,

Clean and precise......as usual from you!
I like to see jobs way outside of my normal range.

One question, would there be any advantage to a simple metal frame (stainless or aluminum) for those doors?
I noticed a little flex in the plastic as the door was opened. Just wondering your thoughts.
Thanks
-brino

Hi Brino, thank you for your kind words.
I love working in different materials whenever possible :grin:

The doors are made to be slightly flexible, the operators can be very harsh on the doors.
they get slammed and banged around pretty badly- so we kinda use this knowledge to our advantage by allowing some flex.

If it doesn't flex- it breaks

i agree, i try to do everything possible to be a one stop shop!!! :grin:

Nice work Mike, as usual an intelligent solution to a tricky problem! Thanks for sharing.

Back