Please help decode the welding term acronyms

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In ignorance - I have trouble searching out the newer abbreviations for welding kit.
I only ever used a small stick welder to make my trailer, and it was called a tapped variable core transformer.
That was quite a long time ago.

1) So what is "LIFT"?
2) Is "MMA" another term for a stick welder?
3) What is "IGBT"? In another life, I thought that meant "Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor"
4) I see MIG / MAG / TIG / FCAW / MMA.
In one machine, I guess that sounds versatile, but what is "FCAW"?

Lastly - a question about the gas. Argon is inert. It surely works
CO2 is already reacted. It will also stop oxidation somewhat.
So other that it saves on Argon costs, is there any advantage in Argon/CO2 mixtures?

You'll probably have to provide some context to some of these terms:
FCAW - Flux Core All-position Wire.

MIG - Metal Inert Gas - Shielding gas is CO2 , Ar, or the CO2-Ar mixture.

TIG - Tungsten Inert Gas - Shielding gas is Helium.

Most modern welding machines use high frequency current. The IGBT is used to generate the high frequency current (your term is correct).

Some metals will react with the CO2 while molten, thus the need for either the Argon, or Argon-CO2 mixture. I only weld steel, so CO2 is all I use. Aluminum MIG requires argon/argon mixture.

I've always called stick welding stick welding. Recently, I've noticed some manufacturers getting cute and calling it something cute.

Lift usually means "lift start" on cheap TIG machines. You have to short the electrode to the work, then lift away to establish and arc. Proper machines have "HF start", which pulses high frequency to start the arc with no contact.

MMA: yes

IGBT: yes, correct. Transistor type commonly used in inverter machines. I'm not sure why marketeers have

Flux Core Arc Welding. Or "gasless mig". It's chuffing horrible - stay away! Cored wire is sometimes used in industry, but quite differently to cheap hobby machines.

Multi process machines are often less than great at any one process. I have a MIG TIG ARC machine, but the TIG is worse than useless and I ended up buying a separate TIG anyway.

You actually need the slight reactivity of CO2 in MIG welding:

Hope that helps :)

@SLK001 and @Lo-Fi : My thanks to both of you.

"MMA" for "Manual Metal Arc". (Yes - I found it eventually). I can't quite get the motivation for the acronym, other than to sound a bit industry buzzword pretentious. Its like calling a maid a "domestic applications technician".
I will always call it a stick welder!

Thanks too for the steer about not using Flux-Core Arc. I was considering it.

Everyone can find a use in the shop for a nice MIG, but I was attracted to TIG also, especially for aluminium. (er.. aluminum)??

It's a real struggle with the jargon. "Migatronoic Focus Tig 160 DC HP PFC TIG / MMA". It's on a eBay auction, so the owner clearly does not want to keep it. I know what "DC" means, and I can hazard a guess that PFC might be "Power Factor Correction".
HP used to mean "Hire Purchase", but in this context , it is definitely something else?

I intend to purchase new, maybe from Amazon. Not sure about anything from eBay any more.

Many of the multi process machines are DC only, which will not weld ali. You need an AC machine for that. I fell into that trap myself.

Also, when looking at TIG machines, look for one that comes with provision for foot pedal control. Control over amperage and freeing your hand to hold the torch comfortably and precisely is key to getting decent results.

No idea on HP or PFC in this context, I'm afraid! When looking at welders, I go for brand. R-Tech and Tech-Arc are my go-to in the UK for great kit without spending a fortune. I have a "cheap brand" JAVAC plasma and borrowed a mates Butters TIG welder. I hate both with incredible passion for their epicly poor quality.

The real difference with MIG machines seems to be the feed roller mechanism. Better machines have larger, smoother motors and more rigid feed assemblies, which all results in smoother, more reliable performance.

I'd recommend weld.com and The Fabrication Series on YouTube to brush up on context, features and why they're important.

That video is interesting. I especially like the exhaust hood, not something all hobbyists will bother with but it should be the first thing to put in any welding budget.

You'll probably have to provide some context to some of these terms:
FCAW - Flux Core All-position Wire.

MIG - Metal Inert Gas - Shielding gas is CO2 , Ar, or the CO2-Ar mixture.

TIG - Tungsten Inert Gas - Shielding gas is Helium.

Most modern welding machines use high frequency current. The IGBT is used to generate the high frequency current (your term is correct).

Some metals will react with the CO2 while molten, thus the need for either the Argon, or Argon-CO2 mixture. I only weld steel, so CO2 is all I use. Aluminum MIG requires argon/argon mixture.

I've always called stick welding stick welding. Recently, I've noticed some manufacturers getting cute and calling it something cute.

For TIG, helium is not the only shielding gas, argon is widely used and easier/cheaper to get.

That video is interesting. I especially like the exhaust hood, not something all hobbyists will bother with but it should be the first thing to put in any welding budget.

Especially given the link between welding fumes and cancer made recently. Even something to pull the fumes away from you and keep a fresh air supply is better than nothing. I don't think ad hobbyists we need worry about full air fed masks and suchlike, but a few sensible precautions are definitely worthwhile if you're doing a lot of welding.

Argon/CO2 is not an option for TIG welding.

"Carbon dioxide (CO2) is actually an active gas. It causes oxidation, especially around tungsten (which is the electrode in a TIG welder). ... So, in short, TIG welding needs pure argon to protect the tungsten electrode, and MIG welding works best on a 75%/25% argon/carbon dioxide mix to get good weld penetration and flow. "

While on this subject, I take it that one of those electronic instant-darkening mask/helmet items is a given.

Back