Please help I.D this old lathe

Rapidrob

Registered
Registered
I friend passed and I inherited an old belt driven lathe. It has a 5" swing of a 24" table. There are no ID markings anywhere on the lathe.,only a thread pitch/speed chart.
I would like to see if anyone here knows who may have made this lathe. It still works but needs new sleeve bearings.
I think he told me decades ago that the lathe had been with him for a very long time. He was 90 when he passed.

Attachments

• lathe1.jpg
    lathe1.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 51
  • lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 55
  • lathe3.jpg
    lathe3.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 54
That lathe is mostly made of Atlas parts. It appears to have some substituted parts like the gear cover and I can't quite tell what's going on with the drive pulleys. Luckily there is good knowledge to be found on these machines and parts availability via eBay is very good.

Thank you for the info. The drive pulleys have me stumped as well. It appears that the torsion lever allows a combination of several pulleys at the same time. Some are under tension,others are free to spin.

Looks like an Atlas 10F-42? Maybe a guard from an air compressor, and a reworked headstock and home built pulley drive.
Here is a picture off the web.

Attachments

• 1576100275534.jpeg
    1576100275534.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 43
1576102376661.png

Looks like maybe a very early Atlas, definately a flat way machine. This photo is from Tony's website lathes.co.uk

-f

Looks like the two belts on the right, are a belt version of a back gear. Look for a way to engage, and disengage the different pulleys.

Yep, that is it in the 2nd photo. I'd love to find a steady rest for it.
The ball lever at the top controls the tension of the belts. The may be a way to reverse the direction in the pulleys. There is a lot going on up there.

Thank you for the info. The drive pulleys have me stumped as well. It appears that the torsion lever allows a combination of several pulleys at the same time. Some are under tension,others are free to spin.
There must be some sort of sliding key to engage one pulley or the other for different speeds; could it be a pre pot metal Atlas? All of it looks factory to me.

Back