Please help with wiring drum switch!

The wiring is not a big deal, a little different that's all. Are you thinking of selling the other one and buying this one instead?
It does have ball bearings which is a plus. But sleeve bearings are fine too, they just need lube periodically

Mark-
I’m not sure yea I guess I would sell the other one and pick this one up or hang onto the other for something else. I guess I should wire the 1/3 horse one up and see if it has trouble getting going with that one.The lathe came with an old craftsman 1/3 motor that was pretty tired and would not start without some help and eventually started smoking. So that’s why I started looking at these. I did want the 1/2 horse one but, thought that maybe I was overthinking the whole thing (Which I tend to do) and the wiring diagram on the 1/2 horse One looked more complicated. Now I’m thinking maybe I should have gotten that one. But like you said it’s a tiny lathe so maybe it will be a non issue.

These lathes do pretty well on 1/3 HP, I have a dc motor about that size on my 6" and it does fine. Keep your eyes peeled for a free or cheap treadmill, lots of folks pull the motors and controls and stick 'em on their lathes for nice cheap variable speed setups. Variable speed is a cool feature, you'll be spoiled
-M

Last edited:
I’ve seen that and it looks awesome. I’ll have to look more into that. :)
Thanks again I’ll post back and let you know how I did!

Hey Mark!
Thanks again for you help. I did wire everything up today and gave it a test and smoke started coming out of the motor. I immediately stopped it checked That I wired everything correctly and hooked the red and black to the connectors inside the motor (where they were) and hooked the 2 lines to a power cord and plugged it in. It ran fine without smoking so I’m thinking the wiring is not right for this motor. Is there any other possible way this switch could be wired up? I’m at a loss. Thanks for any help. I could sure use it!
chris

Found this diagram somewhere on here was wondering if this might work?
thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CD527D03-1544-4F4E-B58D-383F08BD8F68.jpeg
    CD527D03-1544-4F4E-B58D-383F08BD8F68.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 8
Have a look at this post. I went through the same issues trying to wire my motor with the same style switch as you have I believe. I ended up using a drum switch for a 3 phase motor and it worked perfectly.

Thanks Grinderman!
sounds. Like we are dealing with the same stuff. Might have to give that 3 phase switch a go. Really didn’t want to spend more money on this but oh well.
Thanks
Chris

I did get my original switch to work but only with a second on/off switch. I sold the original switch on Craig's List for almost what I paid for it.

Back