[4]

Please read: Mentors-- sign up here!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Nelson

Site Founder
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member

Okay folks...we SAY we help people learn on here, but here is our chance to
PROVE it, and keep the craft/hobby of machining going. What better way to
keep things going then for some of you experienced guys to MENTOR a less
experienced person (trainee, apprentice) in your area? Mentoring is totally
VOLUNTARY, but think of the gift of knowledge you will be giving, and passing
on what you know, and your legacy. Not to mention, it's just plain NICE to
have someone to teach and share with.

What I would like you to do, is reply with your USERNAME, nickname, or real name,
WHATEVER you feel comfortable with and LOCATION, so that guys in your
area can contact you, share a cup of coffee at a diner, visit your shop, or
perhaps something more of an apprenticeshop at your shop, for the purpose
of learning.

Example:

Allthumbz (Nelson) ---- Queens, New York
John Smith ----Houston, Texas
Jack Swagger ---- Boston, Mass

If you think this is a hairbrain idea, let me know- I just thought it might
be a nice thing for us on this board to do.

:tiphat:Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
Not sure I know enough to mentor anyone, but put me down. Would love to meet folks with a similar interests.
Chuck in E. TN
Near Jonesborough, TN

irishwoodsman

Active User
You can count me in even though my experience is limited , to some one who has never touched a lathe i could be some help on alot of the basic machining:biggrin: and by spring i should have even more experience:biggrin: Mac Stlouis Missouri

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
I had some machine shop in High School in the mid 60's. I have a 7x14 mini-lathe, X2 mill, 4x6 bandsaw, and a bench grinder. Learned how to use them by hanging out here, and several other machining forums. Definitely not a professional. I mostly have made tooling and mods to my equipment.

Chuck in E. TN

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I'm willing, but we don't have any members closer than Vernon. What? You want me to recruit my own?! :D

Starlight Tools

Active User
Always willing to help out

Walter in Nelson, BC

Well tooled shop, but very crowded. had to machine the head down on a bolt yesterday and was reaching over stuff to get at the controls of the lathe.

Tooling

14x40 Variable speed lathe, with Accurite 2 Axis DRO, taper attachement, 3 jaw, four jaw, Bison 5C collet chuck, armature undercutter. (Face plate, 5C square and Hex Collets and ER40 Chuck in transit from T4C) Dickson QCTP but changing to a Dorian Victory soon, I hope.

10x50 Vertical Knee mill, variable speed with 3 Axis Accurite DRO. Power feed on X and Y axis, Vertex 6" switvel vise, Vertex 8" rotary table c/w tail stock and dividing plates. Couple of toolmakers vises, hold downs and most of the bits and bobs.

Presses, 5 Ton Arbor and 50 Ton Hydraulic with various attachments

Darex XT3000 autofeed drill sharpener with almost every attachment for it.

Grinders, sanders, glass bead cabinet, compressor, variety of hand tools

B&S #13 T&C grinder, with surface grinding plate and Magnetic chuck, and all sorts of extra attachments. Not exactly a pro on this one, but we could learn together.

Vertical wood/metal cutting bandsaw, 24" scroll saw, Abrasive chop saw and Cold Cut cut off saw, full welding shop, just no real room to "layout" any projects.

kyler

Active User
anyone near Frederick MD want to volunteer to help me?

churchjw

Active User
Jeff Church Boone NC

Love to meet and help others with building stuff. Would also be happy to help anyone in say Australia, South Africa, England, or lots of other of the cool places. :thinking: Just need a way over. :biggrin:

Jeff

ronaldf

Iron
Registered Member
You can count me in. I started working in the shop when I was 9. Started making chips on the lathe when I was 12. Took vocational high school for machine trades. Have not been in the trade for about 30 years. But I have not forgotten ,What I learned . I think It is a real Good ideal. It is part of the reason I,m setting up a shop. I have a 15 year old son, who is interested in maching. The local high school has no shop program. I'm slowly getting machines and tooling . I "m Setting up a small manual machine shop. He will in time learn to make plastic molds.

Last edited:

Chazz

Active User
Me too, but I think I am the only member from the Northwest Territories (Canada). :cool:

Chazz - In the Great White North (-28 with wind chill)

randyjaco

Active User
You can ad me to the list. I will be glad to help out other hobbyists in the Houston, TX area. PM me if you need help.

Randy

Last edited:

mitsue

Active User
Anyone in the Edmonton, Alberta area that needs help can look me up. The doors always open.
Darcy

atwatterkent

Active User
You can add me to the list too. I'm already a tutor at the local Community College and have had a good amount teaching experience. Kankakee Illlinois
Bob

goldenchips2

I am an instructor at the Capitol Area Technical College, Baton Rouge, La.
After 40+ hours a week after teaching, I do not have the energy to take on another after hour student...
But you are more than welcome to enroll in my class...

bleonard

Active User
I think its a great idea put me in
Bob Tacoma wa.

Stan Stocker

Swarf
Registered Member
Clock/Hobby machining help available - Northern Shenandoah Valley

Hi Folks,

I'm Stan Stocker, in Bentonville, Virginia. I repair and restore clocks and watches for a living, have made a few steam engines, and a bit of tooling. I'll be willing to help out hobby machinists if I can, and HOBBY clock folks too. Please note, this isn't an offer for free clock repairs, just if you're a hobby clock person and hit a snag on a project I'll help you out if I can, take a look at a problem movement, drink coffee, etc.

Best way to get me is via email at stan@stansclockshop.com

Best to all,
Stan

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Welcome to the forum, Stan. Nice of you to offer your assistance. You'll find this group friendly and open. Willing to give and receive help and advice.

I believe there may be a few members in your neck of the woods.

BRIAN

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Well, I sit in the middle of the Med on my own. but I am more then willing to give any one help over the net. I am also always willing to learn from others.
If you think I can help just send me a PM and may be we can work out your problem.
By the way I do not not only make clocks. see the "500 single".
But if you happen to be in Sicly let me know and we will have a few beers.

Brian.

N

Nelson

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Re: Clock/Hobby machining help available - Northern Shenandoah Valley

Hi Folks,

I'm Stan Stocker, in Bentonville, Virginia. I repair and restore clocks and watches for a living, have made a few steam engines, and a bit of tooling. I'll be willing to help out hobby machinists if I can, and HOBBY clock folks too. Please note, this isn't an offer for free clock repairs, just if you're a hobby clock person and hit a snag on a project I'll help you out if I can, take a look at a problem movement, drink coffee, etc.

Best way to get me is via email at stan@stansclockshop.com

Best to all,
Stan
Stan,

Welcome and thanks for stepping up. I am a clock collector and apprentice clock repairer learning from an experienced repairman around here, and can always use someone to bounce things off of. I also want to learn to be able to machine some replacement parts for clocks.

Nelson

dickr

Active User
Okay I'll sign up. maybe I'll find out if there's someone besides cows out here. Well except for Steve in Alder, Mt. down the road from Twin Bridges, Mt.
I've been doing this for a while. I started at Fletcher aviation, then went to job shops from there. No schooling just learned on the job if you didn't you were gone. Then started a shop of my own doing business for electronics to medical to gov. stuff. Sold it and it's still going today. I found I enjoyed getting up each day for the work we did Can't beat that ! That was in Ventura, Ca.

14 x 40 tool rm lathe, Taiwan
Vertical Mill (brdgprt clone) Chinese
Delta Milwaukee surface grinder, USA
welders, arc and wirefeed. no tig, USA, Chinese
Hammers,pliers,wrenches,screwdrivers,
big hammers, and etc. Made all around the world.
And if I haven't got it,--------------- it's only because I can't afford it !
dickr---------------or Dick Rasmussen, Twin Bridges, Mt.

Tenn

Active User
I've been doing this (mentoring) for the past 5 months with a youth in the area and it has been enjoyable.
I'm in and the coffee's on :) So Allthumbs We ARE doing it :) Which is one reason I've been out of pocket the last while.
WARNING; Mentoring is sometimes hard on your tools when mentoree's make mistakes. But hey we're machinists we can fix stuff.

my mentee and I had to make our own aluminum metric tapered shear pins after a crash one day...now that gave him some REAL experience. I'm sure others have made them but Enco said 16-18 months to get a new one and MSC didn't even have them nor their suppliers...does that mean we have the only "made in the USA" metric aluminum tapered shear pins ?? Then there was the time he stripped out the little bolt that holds the change gears on...turned out it's better now with a beefier bolt that isn't as likely to strip out and now he knows "don't turn it 'quite' that tight!"
So speaking from experience you might/will have a few accidents when you've got youngsters in the shop and you'll probably have to repeatedly remind them that steel chips won't hurt their hair as bad as it will their eyes so put their safety glasses on their nose where they belong. Below is some of what we've dun so far and I might add had fun doing it and learning by our mistakes !

OOps forgot to say Linden TN halfway between Nashville and Jackson TN south of I-40

13x40 Enco lathe 9x36 Bridgeport mill My apprentice wants adopted so he can inherit my tools-conniving runt ;)

CCI02272012_00000.jpg Drill point gage.jpg inside grooving bit.jpg Taper Pin.jpg turners cube.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Plumber

Active User
Hey you can add my name for what it's worth, like a lot of folks here I'm still learning and willing to share what I know-----Jack----WPB, FL

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
I'll offer what I know about the machining industry which to some may not be much but to others, I'm a walking encyclpedia!
I've worked on a variety of lathes from my 9" SBL all the way up to one that would swing 60" and had a 120 foot bed length!
Mills pretty much the same thing. Now days I stick to my collection of tools listed below. I don't have any time on CNC machines, but worked among them for 30 years.

I've rebuilt several lathes over the years with my latest being my 20" L & S, not running yet, but getting there. I don't claim to be a master at any of this stuff but come close!

I have limited machining services available, but if a special need comes about, I'll try to help, or I'll find someone who can.

I offer my advise free to others on this site. Send me a private message and I'll try to help.

Sandro

Active User
25 years as a machinist and toolmaker so anybody in the Niagara Region of southern Ontario send me an email (sandro@yaknet.ca) or phone 289-241-2996.

Sandro Di Filippo

wawoodman

himself, himself
Great idea! I would love to find a mentor in Seattle. Anyone?

Tamper84

Active User
I would help someone out! Well with welding. I have an ASME high pressure pipe cert, along with an AWS D 1.1 cert. Located in Clarington Ohio. Any one else around that would help me out with the machining side?

Thanks,
Chris

Terry Werm

Titanium
Former Member
Count me in! Terry Wermerskirchen - Jordan, MN

Did a few of years of metal shop in high school, including welding, aluminum foundry, and machine shop. Worked in a machine shop for a couple of years just out of high school, hated doing piece work! Used to work on heavy equipment, so my welding was put to good use there. Eventually moved to working on packaging machinery, machined lots and lots of parts for the equipment there. Some stuff to replace broken/unavailable parts, some stuff of my own design.

Now I have my own small shop in the garage but have plans to move some of the machines to a room in the basement so that year round work will be more comfortable. I currently have a 10" Logan lathe and a Clausing 8520 mill, both of which will move to the basement along with a bench grinder and a Taiwanese drill press. My Miller AC/DC welder and Hobart wire feed will stay in the garage along with my Keller 5HD power hacksaw. Most of my work in the home shop has been for various tooling for my own shop and to make various tools and parts for different projects that come along, but I plan to get started soon on a few engines of various types including steam, stirling, and I/C.

I currently volunteer as a coach for the 4-H shooting sports program in our county as well as a state level instructor, so I get plenty of chances to teach kids and adults alike. Teaching adults HOW to teach kids to shoot can get interesting, but it is rewarding just the same as working with youth. 4-H does supposedly offer a metal shop program, but in our modern age 4-H requires all meetings and teaching to take place in public places such as schools or libraries. No more project work at one person's house or place of business. Obviously this puts the clamps on many machine shop programs because most of the high schools around here no longer have any machine shop equipment. The sad part is that there are a couple of kids around that would like to learn about this hobby. I can mentor them independently, and have offered to do so, but I require that a parent comes along, mostly for MY protection. So far I have no takers.

davidh

Active User

If you think this is a hairbrain idea, let me know- I just thought it might
be a nice thing for us on this board to do.

:tiphat:Nelson
davidh
maple wi

kc6uvm_George

Swarf
Registered Member
:hi:

I'm always willing to help, network with others near my location (North Los Angeles County, Lancaster, CA).

I'm trying to get a shop together. Small rebuilt HF mini mill, atlas 6" lathe being rebuilt with DC drive, Sears radial drill press and assorted tools, etc.

I build live steam trains, radio control airplanes and helicopters, ham radio, getting into programming arduinos and working with robotics...

Eventually, when I rewire the garage, it'll be a make shift man cave. Place to sit back for coffee, etc. :newspaper:

email appreciated ahead of time.. kc6uvm (at) verizon.net

pineyfolks

Active User
Add me to the list. If anyones close I'm glad to help just shoot me a PM.

[6]
[5] [7]