Please recommend a dual purpose blade

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
Hi, I just picked up a new (still in original box) 5x6 King horizontal bandsaw Off Kijiji yesterday. I assembled it and adjusted everything and it seems to be working quite well.

i have read that a quality blade is money well spent and I will need a spare regardless. I realize it’s not ideal but I would like to order a blade that will cut both mild steel and aluminum because 99% of my cutting will be:
1) mild steel; flats, plate, angles (3/8” thick max) and solid rounds typically < 1” and the odd pipe up to say 4”
2) aluminum same as above except no pipe.

speed is not really an issue so if it’s on the slower side that’s ok this is for fun not production.

from what I have read both Starrett and Lenox make quality blades

Attachments

• 9908810D-1EEC-4B11-9E10-DF8E874066C8.jpeg
    9908810D-1EEC-4B11-9E10-DF8E874066C8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
well, the material is less important than the # of teeth.
For thick metal, less teeth, for thin metal more teeth.
congrats on the saw. You can get away with a higher tooth count but it will heat up and will cut slow.

If you can find a variable number of teeth the advantage is that it is a compromise that helps.

you want 3 teeth in the metal, same as a wood bandsaw..
if you can add coolant you will save your blades.

See
for how Steve Summers added flood coolant to his HF saw.

I've been getting from here.

1st blade on my Johnson lasted nearly 5 years. That's with 2nd to slowest cutting speed, light pressure and always flood cooling. As you said, hobby guys are in no hurry.

Aaron

When I was in the business, it was nothing but Lenox. Now that they're no longer deductible or producing income, I've had very acceptable life from import bi-metal blades. You are much more likely to ruin a blade by error/abuse than wear it out. 10/14 vari-pitch is a very good universal blade for whatever you need to cut. I was getting my blades from Aliexpress, but I'm now getting them from Amazon.

edit: Don't be misled by the "for soft metal", in this context mild steel is a soft metal.

Last edited:
We also use 10/14 blades on the Ellis at work. Good all around blade!

Morse makes good blades too, I get 'em from Zoro. I have several different tooth counts, 10, 18, 24 tpi depending on what I'm cutting. I think I even have a 6 tpi for huge chunks of aluminum.
I've gotten good at changing the blade. You need to take off the blade from time to time anyhow to clean it and wipe off the oil from the drive wheels.
-M

I've been getting from here.

I just looked up the Lenox 1/2 x .025 x 64-1/2

1630774587897.png

With $5.11 shipping, it's cheaper than the bi-metal blades from HF!

For future purchases check these guys out. I just ordered a blade for my vertical band saw, waiting for delivery , I've bought end mills from them, good price and great quality. They are in in British Columbia

Ditto on engaging minimum 3 teeth in the cut, age old recommendation.
Orientation of material helps too. Round or square bar obviously has no preference, flat bar cuts well positioned vertically IF YOUR SET_UP cut is plumb.
Angle stock, cut it with the apex up, that equalizes 'thickness' the blade penetrates. Angle can/ will roll if flat in the vise.
Too slow is not productive or too much wear on blade FPM wise, but low pressure can. Go by eye, you want to see decent size chips, not dust, and cut proceed visibly.

Back