Please talk me into (or out of) CNC machining

Why not jump in head first :) I didn't have a CNC for about 45 years, then I bought one. Vastly expanded my capabilities and even makes me look like a machinist. CNC really allows you to easily do stuff that is difficult to nearly impossible on a manual machine.

I would want one that has both manual and CNC capability, in other words a CNC with hand wheels on it. I use both mine in both manual and CNC mode, sometimes both in the same job.

Why not jump in head first :) I didn't have a CNC for about 45 years, then I bought one. Vastly expanded my capabilities and even makes me look like a machinist. CNC really allows you to easily do stuff that is difficult to nearly impossible on a manual machine.

I would want one that has both manual and CNC capability, in other words a CNC with hand wheels on it. I use both mine in both manual and CNC mode, sometimes both in the same job.

I don't have handwheels on mine, if I want to do work on it manually, I just enter the commands in the command line one at a time. Good for doing simple roughing or small jobs I don't need to put into CAD. Conversational is one step up from that, good for simple features like pockets and bolt hole patterns. I don't think not having handwheels is much of a handicap, all things considered.

I'll throw out another opinion. Get it. I got an industrial hobbies mill and CNC kit many years ago and was in the same spot (do I or don't I). It was for a mix of hobby and work related stuff. It has been endless fun to use. It has worked well for wood, plastic, aluminum, FR4 and steel materials. On occasion I've done hardened steel but it isn't fun. I machined a mount for a porter-cable router for softer materials where the RPM is needed. I like the CAD process because it allows me to think through the design without wasting too much material. It has an MPG that can act as a hand-wheel. I sometimes think it would be nice to have the feel of the manual hand-wheels but I get by without it. For me, large work envelope is key so I got the largest mill I could afford, fit in and move relatively easily.

You guys are making me think about converting my Bridgeport. My wallet is very concerned. :)

Thanks for all the advice here:eagerness:

Today I ordered a parallel card for my old PC, a stepper motor and a controller. I like the idea of converting a machine since I will be able to use it and my lathe to make some of the parts.

I figure I'll mess around with the design software and get the PC talking to the controller, that won't cost much more than the $50 I dropped on Amazon today. If I want to go forward I will have time to do my research and planning.

Cheers,

John

You guys are making me think about converting my Bridgeport. My wallet is very concerned. :)
Well, then you're not going to want to follow Cooter Brown's thread on converting his BP over to 3-axis CNC . . . I'm hoping to see his live and personal when he gets it up and running. I'm probably going to upgrade my circa-1983 Anilam 2-axis to 3-axis using DMM or ClearPath servos and a Centroid Acorn board. But, I got the clearance from my better half to start looking for a Tormach 1100 with an auto tool changer! Love that woman to death!

Bruce

Some years ago, I converted my little X2 size mill to CNC. It would be nice if it were bigger, but I do use it for small jobs with shapes that would be a pain to cut manually. So far, I'm only doing 2.5D, but I'll eventually get into true 3D. I recently added a fourth axis. I would advise getting a control board that can handle a fourth, just in case you decide to go that route.

I've been doing CNC for almost 30 years now. It's treated me very well and I've never been out of a job. My first mill still had a punch tape reader in it. But it got me started. My CAM program ran on DOS on a 286-12 with a math co-processor. I had two 40 megabyte hard drives (not gigabyte) and it cost me over $2000 in 1990.

My advice is if you do this buy the biggest machine you can fit in your space/can afford. You can put a small job on a big machine, but not a a big job on a small machine. The learning curve is steep, but you will make your first part and run in and show your wife what you just made and she will smile and say "that's nice dear" not having a clue what it took to make it. (ask me how I know this) But you will feel a great sense of accomplishment and you will try more challenging parts.

Good luck and we will be here to support you whatever you decide to do.

but you will make your first part and run in and show your wife what you just made and she will smile and say "that's nice dear" not having a clue what it took to make it.

I can get that experience without a $3000 CNC upgrade - must mean my manual machining skills are awesome :grin:

Only $3000??? Wow, where are you getting your CNC's at??? :dunno:

Back