Plug Explanation

TORQUIN

Registered
Registered
I just bought a surface grinder and it had a 20A, 3 phase (4 conductor) plug. I use a 3 phase, 20A, 4 conductor plug for my old surface grinder. When I compared the two plugs I found they are different. The one I use has a smaller spade circle then the one that came with the new grinder and new grinder's plug has the lock lug on a different spade then the plugs I use. I purchased the plugs and sockets I use from Lowes/Home Depot. I have not been able to find info on the internet to tell me what's the reasoning behind this different size/configuration between these 20A, 3 phase, 4 conductor plugs.
Can someone explain to me what's going on here?

The two plugs, a new one I just bought on the left, identical to the ones I already use in the shop, and on the right, the plug that came with the new grinder.
2020-10-11 17.51.42-33.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

I'm no electrician, but here's an attempt to explain.

The L14-20 (orange) plug on the left is actually designed for "center tapped" 230V AC single phase. The center tap allows you to take 115 volts as needed. See http://www.generatorsforhomeuse.us/l14-20/

The grey-faced plug on the right is an "official" 3 phase connector. Note that is it's labeled "3øY" on the face. Both of these connectors are rated for 20 amps.

The fact that the L14-20 has 4 lugs makes it usable on 3 phase power, and I'm sure it's commonly used for such. But they're designed to be different for safety reasons - so that you don't try plugging a 3 phase machine into a single phase 230V outlet (or vice versa)

Notice that the next thread in this section, https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/wiring-my-3-phase-lathe-to-my-rpc.87560/ that the discussion is about L15-30 and L15-20 connectors. Both of these are are marked for 3 phase, 15 and 30 amps, respectively.

I'm sure that if Bi11Hudson joins the discussion, he can correct any mistakes I've made. Not only is he knowledgable, but also writes good, clear explanations.

Last edited:
Since the are both 3 phase and both 20amps. You could switch the grinder to the L14-20 style.

Thanks, RJ! The Nomenclature chart does a good job distinguishing between 230V single phase and 3 phase.
...but...
Can't find the "stove/clothes dryer(?)" outlet that my shop was wired with ... NEMA 10-50
HPIM0268 copy.jpg

Since the are both 3 phase and both 20amps. You could switch the grinder to the L14-20 style.
Already did. Changed the plug on the new grinder to use what I already use in the shop. I hate mismatched plugs and wiring.

Chris

Just figured out why my NEMA 10-50 isn't on the chart that RJ referenced - it's no longer "legal," just grandfathered. Wikipedia has a good discussion of current and old NEMA plugs/receptacles:
... and here's another chart, which includes the 10-50, also does a good job of distinguishing between single and 3 phase connectors:

Enjoy!

Seems like the grey plug has no NEMA info on it. I don't know what the significance, if any, the "30Y" has.

Chris

Back