Plug for 3 phase machines

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
Is there a twist-lock plug for 3 phase equipment? I have an Anderson 7.5 hp phase converter that I want to be able to plug a variety of things

Yes, there are several, here's a chart.

I like theL14-30 since it's capable of running both legs of the 220v circuit plus neutral if you want to pull 110v off the same plug. Of course it depends on how much power your machines need, I would probably attach a sub-panel to the phase converter with appropriate breakers for the service needed.

John

(edit)
Sorry, specifically for 3 phase

I suspect you could use the L14-30 and just wire it accordingly but if someone else in the future thought it was for single phase it could cause confusion.

JOhn

Last edited:
Some of the ones referred to by matthewsx (www.askmediy.com) will work. If this is for the three phase side and you want a twist-lock type (3 lines plus ground) you can use a Nema L15-30 (if you are talking about 240 VAC). You won't have a neutral (5th wire) with a rotary phase converter. If you google "three phase twist lock plug" a Leviton device comes up at Home Depot.

This is also a good thing to look for at an industrial surplus house if you have one near you that's open. Might be able to pick up something really nice for pennies on the dollar.

John

Back